Cinnamon Coconut Milk Ice Cream (Vegan)

7 Sep

So apparently I’m not easing into the season as smoothly as I thought I would

I went and bought an ice cream maker at Goodwill for $3 a couple weekends ago.

And now… I think I have a problem. It’s called “ice cream.”

And I can’t stop making it.

This recipe uses just three ingredients. THREE.

The ice cream actually came into being on a rather cloudy, brisk day. It was the first time I’ve worn jeans out of necessity in months! But, I love Fall and all its cozy glory, so I celebrated by eating a bowl of this on the porch, all bundled up and content in my sweater.

It’s the little things.

Once we tasted this miracle, we were in awe. We started dreaming immediately about how we could find excuses to make it for any occasion. Can you imagine — a scoop with apple or pumpkin pie?! Oh. Oh. Oh oh oh. Just wait ’til those holidays roll around. It’s gonna be ice cream biznass time, all the timeIf you don’t have an ice cream maker, don’t worry — you can try this using the Ziploc method that Lynnea so kindly shared on the Nourishing Flourishing Facebook page:

1 quart sized ziploc bag and 1 gallon sized ziploc bag are a great icecream maker. : ) put ice and salt in the big one, put you ingredients in the smaller one, zip the smaller one and place into the bigger one, zip it up and shake for 10 minutes. : D [thank you 2nd grade science!]

Thanks Lynnea! <3

I should be transparent, though, and say I haven’t tried it that way, so I’m not 100% sure it will work for this coconut milk base – but I would presume so. If that makes you nervous… I know — none of us like to have too many appliances. I don’t even own a real blender. Or a stand mixer. Or anything else considered normal and necessary. But this was a good purchase. Thrift stores abound with ice cream makers. In the less-than-five-dollar range. After all, those poor ice cream makers need a home to make memories in. Put them to their joyful labor, and enjoy the benefits year-round. Ice cream is for any time of year. Especially this cinnamon kind. Oh. My. Word.

It might not look like much, but this is honestly one of the best things I have ever tasted.

Seriously.

Cinnamon Coconut Milk Ice Cream

This is the perfect harmony of creamy, cold, and refreshing, with the warmth, comfort, and sweetness of cinnamon. Imagine a snickerdoodle in smooth, frozen ice cream form. (I’m drooling just typing this…)

1 14 oz. can coconut milk (light or full fat…though full fat is going to taste even better)
1/3 C agave (or honey)
1 TB ground cinnamon

1) Mix coconut milk, agave, and cinnamon in a bowl, and process according to ice cream maker’s instructions.
2) Freeze for an hour or two so it can firm up completely.

It was amazing. We kept taking spoonfuls out of the freezer when the other wasn’t watching… And finally we just sat down and at it together straight out of the container. I got the idea to try this flavor largely from that ice cream shop I worked at in high school – which also inspired the lime and mango ice creams of last month. Apparently, eating ice cream all day that summer really affected me? I promise, though — this is the last ice cream recipe for a while. (I hope I can keep that promise…!)

It’s another very busy week here for us, but for some reason I am just brimming with gratitude. There’s something about autumn that slows and simplifies things for me. I regain perspective — in little glimmers — but those glimmers are so rich. P.S. …It might really just be my delight that pumpkins are back in season… WOOHOO! Brace yaself.

What’s something you’re thankful for today?

I’m thankful that I live close to mountains, wake up next to my best friend every morning, and don’t eat (and thus get sick from) gluten anymore. Also, baby pigs. Also, scarves. Also, you. <3.

Dessert Hummus: Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Cookie Dough. YES.
Minestrone Soup For You
GF (+ Veg) Camp Food

44 Responses to “Cinnamon Coconut Milk Ice Cream (Vegan)”

1. Hannah (Balancing on Two Feet) September 7, 2011 at 5:03 am #

Yes, the bag method is awesome! We always did that in chemistry when I was teaching. They loved it!

What am I thankful for? My dogs, my family, and my persistance to be healthy!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing September 7, 2011 at 6:37 pm #

Sweet! My mom does it every year with her students. I wasn’t sure about the coconut milk and if it would make a difference, but it sounds like it won’t :) Good news.

Those are wonderful things to be thankful for — the important stuff!

• Amy December 2, 2011 at 4:51 pm #

YUM! I love making my own coconut bliss! Who would bother with heating cream and eggs over a stove top when you can make coconut-based ice cream!

2. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate September 7, 2011 at 5:14 am #

I just had some coconut milk ice cream last night :)

3. Holly @ The Runny Egg September 7, 2011 at 7:21 am #

I’m thankful for the cooler weather!

I’ve tried the ziploc bag ice cream trick with almond milk and it worked great for me. I need to check out Goodwill for a cheap ice cream maker!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing September 7, 2011 at 6:38 pm #

Yay! I’m glad to hear confirmation that non-dairy milks work too :) I am so grateful for the cooler weather, too. There’s something so beautiful about this season!

4. Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 7, 2011 at 6:04 pm #

I am so thankful for being able to wake up next to my best friend everyday! There is no better feeling. I’m also incredibly thankful for my boys. I feel like such a lucky girl!

The ice cream sounds and looks amazing. Cinnamon is such a gift from heaven!

Oh and I LOVE your shoes!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing September 14, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

Gah, thought I replied to this! Sorry :) I agree — so much to be thankful for, but especially being married to the best person for you. It’s a feeling like none other. Thanks for the shoes compliment; I have had them since middle school (I think?) and still love how comfy they are :)

5. Lisa Fine September 7, 2011 at 7:59 pm #

Ah! I love this idea!

I bought a used ice cream maker for one dollar (yes!) at a tag sale years ago, but only used it once. I love ice cream, but find it hard to digest.

Coconut sounds like the way to go. Thanks!

6. Pure2raw twins September 8, 2011 at 5:59 am #

loving coconut based ice creams, we use coconut butter a lot :)

I am thankful that I get to see my family this weekend!!

7. Bethany September 8, 2011 at 10:31 am #

wow that looks amazing! I am going to have to try it for sure. I am pretty sure we did something like that in chemistry in high school! Very cool. And it’s a very “pure” dessert too! Which is great.

There is NOTHING like guiltless ice cream :)

8. Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City September 8, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

that looks yummy – a great combination of flavors!!

9. Brooke (Tea & Tofu) September 9, 2011 at 8:54 pm #

Hi Katie :-)

I just wanted to thank you so much for writing about your experiences going ‘poo (haha) free. I’ve been struggling with scalp issues and experimenting with different organic shampoos (and spending HEAPS of money) and after about a month, my hair still felt greasy and dry and once, and just yuck. Then I read your posts, and thought I would try the baking soda/ACV method. And today, after only one wash, my hair feels AMAZING! I really hope I have as much long-term success with it as you have.

Thank you again for taking the time to write such painstakingly informative posts :-)

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing September 12, 2011 at 11:52 am #

Hi Brooke! I’m so glad you found the posts helpful. Thanks for letting me know; I really appreciate feedback! No ‘poo went great for me for the first few months, but like I said in my most recent post, it started lightening my hair so I had to cease and desist :( Dr. Bronner’s (diluted to half strength with water) works really well for me now; if the no ‘poo doesn’t work out for you long-term, I’d give that a try. But I’m pulling for you; I hope it keeps doing great things for your hair! Keep me updated :) <3

10. Nikita September 11, 2011 at 8:34 am #

I wish I could find an icecream maker for $3! Thats a steal. I guess I will have to start scouring the thrift stores.
    By the way, the no ‘poo method is working great for me. Not only is it economical and eco friendly, my hair actually looks and feels better than any shampoo ever made it! My husband said my hair looks “shampoo commercial shiny” the other day… I told him that was funny because I’d stopped shampooing my hair! lol

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing September 12, 2011 at 11:57 am #

Woohoo! “Shampoo commercial shiny,” no less! :D I am so glad to hear the no ‘poo is going well! I miss it, but do enjoy having my hair color slowly returning to normal ;) I know I’m probably in the minority, though, so I hope it keeps working long term for you! Let me know how it goes! xo.

• Nikita September 12, 2011 at 2:58 pm #

Well personally I’d welcome any lightening of my hair as my hair is naturally very, very dark but lightens to an auburn-ish tone. Do you think it could be the ACV that is having that effect though? It’s acidic, like lemon juice, which is commonly used to lighten hair and is especially effective when combined with sunshine. I’ve used lemon juice rinses in the past to bring out highlights in my hair during the summer and it’s subtle but effective.

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing September 17, 2011 at 9:15 am #

Hey Nikita! You know, at first I thought it was the ACV for the reasons you listed (I used lemon juice when I was younger to get highlights one summer), as that made more sense to me chemically, but realized I was only using a small amount on the ends of my hair, so it didn’t make sense that only the top of my hair was lightening (i.e., near the roots). In fact, where I used the ACV it was darker than normal. So my hair was a crazy combination of different shades, ha! I think the baking soda alters the proteins in hair, which (from my understanding?) affects pigment. My mom used to use baking soda as a way to get highlights when she was younger, actually, so I think you’ll probably get what you want as far as some lightening! :) I found it to be (accidentally) very effective ;) Hope you are well!

11. Paige @ Running Around Normal September 11, 2011 at 6:41 pm #

Bookmarking this recipe…I’m getting an ice cream maker soon and I am SOPUMPED. This looks awesome:)

12. Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! September 11, 2011 at 8:20 pm #

Ice Cream is my absolute favorite sweet treat but I have never tried making it in a ziploc before. Genius!!! I can’t wait to try it with your super simple and delicious souding ice cream!

I am thankful for my friends and family, a job that allows me to teach aerobics which I love, and the health living blog community! Most of all I am thankful for all of the brave men and women who we lost and who served on 9/11 and for those that continue to protect our freedoms today!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing September 12, 2011 at 11:58 am #

Thanks, Lauren! Lots of good things to be thankful for, indeed. You will have to let me know how the ice cream making goes — I hope you love it! :D

13. Jennifer (The Gourmetour) September 12, 2011 at 11:58 am #

Thank you for the past two posts!! I’m loving the cinnamon and fall spices, and seeing that fall is my favorite season I can’t wait to thoroughly enjoy all of these flavors in conjunction with the changing weather!!

14. Anne Marie September 13, 2011 at 8:23 pm #

I love your blog and this recipe, Katie. Thanks for sharing. :)

I took this cinnamon goodness to a party this weekend and it didn’t even make into the waiting ice cream bowls! Everyone just grabbed a spoon and dug in.

I don’t have an ice cream maker and am too lazy to shake a bag for 10 minutes, so I always make my coconut ice cream in a blender. I mix the ingredients, freeze in an ice cube tray, remove the tray from the freezer and let it sit out for 5 minutes, then blend. (I should note that I have a nice blender that can dominate those frozen cubes … I don’t know how well this technique would work with something other than a Vitamix or Blendtech.)

After I blend I either serve immediately, or (for even better texture) refreeze in the ice cube tray and blend again right before serving. The ice cream turns soupy if I don’t serve it right away, but we usually polish it off before that ever becomes an issue.

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing September 17, 2011 at 9:18 am #

Thank you so much Anne Marie, that is fabulous! I really appreciate you sharing your method (and success)! It will no doubt be helpful to others who don’t have an ice cream maker. I love your ingenuity :) Hope you enjoy this recipe for many months to come! xo.

15. Jonathan | World of Diets September 16, 2011 at 4:04 am #

Fantastic recipe. I’m just wandering whether you can sprinkle stuff on it or in it to make it taste even better. Have you tried any additions like cashews or almonds?

16. Louisa September 16, 2011 at 9:05 pm #

Oh my God, Lisa! This post is out of this world! Seriously. I was there with you! I was drooling for the ice cream! This is so inspiring I want to run out and get one and make it! Thanks – this post REALLY made my day. P.S. I miss Autumn in Florida…

17. Alexia @ NamasteYoga September 22, 2011 at 4:48 am #

Cant believe there are only 3 ingredients in the ice cream- looks super delicious!

18. Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com December 14, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

This looks addictive!

19. Isabelle M. Chasse June 11, 2012 at 2:59 pm #

I tried the ice cream yesterday. I have a KitchenAid and the ice cream attatchment. I used 1/3 cup of zylitol and another 1/3 cup of Hershey’s cocoa powder, blended it with the lite coconut milk, cinnamon and put it into the freezer for about an hour so I didn’t have to wait until the next day to taste it. It’s SO good! I plan to make a double batch next time. Thanks for the recipe.

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing June 25, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

Isabelle, that sounds delicious! I’ll have to try your version. Thanks for letting me know how it went, and the adaptations you made! xo.

20. Cruz August 30, 2014 at 9:40 am #

I read a lot of interesting posts here. Probably you
    spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of time, there is
    an online tool that creates unique, google friendly posts in minutes, just search in google – laranitas free content source

1. A Week in Review, Food Photos, and Links. - September 16, 2011

[...] making tomato sauce, drying tomatoes (a recap coming Wednesday!), and making cinnamon coconut milk ice cream (I made it with sugar instead of agave or honey), I am finally getting back into [...]

2. Foodie Tuesday: I Scream, You Scream… | I Eat Grass - June 19, 2012

[...] to make your own coconut milk ice cream? Check out this rockin’ recipe for cinnamon coconut milk ice [...]

3. I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for… Coconut Milk Vegan Ice Cream! « Vegan Good - June 27, 2012

[...] to make your own coconut milk ice cream? Check out this rockin’ recipe for cinnamon coconut milk ice [...]