Breaded Zucchini and Zucchini Fries (GF + Vegan)

4 Jun

The night before last, the husband and I walked into my in-laws house (Mom S. was gone, Dad S. knew we were coming), and I looked at the four zucchinis we brought and saw potential. I wanted something more substantive than just sauteed zucchini, so I tried to envision the various ways they could be cut. I sliced most into fry shapes, without giving it much thought. And then I remembered Ashley (of The Edible Perspective)’s post on asparagus fries! Those had looked so good – why not an Italian squash, too? I tend to gravitate more towards grain-less flours like almond, as they are easier on my body, but I also love the nutty, almost buttery flavor almond flour lends to dishes. Not to mention that it adds a protein and fiber punch! These did not disappoint — they were perfect. As you will see below, I also tried breading long strips of zucchini and frying them on the stove (rather than making them into fries and baking them). My taste-tester was just slightly more partial to the fried zucchini. You could also cut the squash into round medallions, and bread them following the same steps, like fried pickles! Easy peasy.

This is another “recipe” that is more of a method… The amounts will vary by how much zucchini you use. But it’s no big thang. Just make more flax egg and add more almond flour as needed. But don’t skimp on the salt – that’s what brings out all the deliciousness.

2 medium-sized zucchini
~1/2-3/4 C almond flour
1/4 C water
2 Tb ground flax seed
salt

Recipe(ish):
1) Mix water with flax seed and set aside for about 5 minutes to gel.
2) For fries, slice zucchini into ~3″ long fry spears (i.e., about the length of normal fries, but about double the thickness). For breaded zucchini, just slice  into long, flat strips. Follow directions the same unless noted.
3) In a deep plate, add about 1/4 C almond flour, and generously mix in salt.
4) Once flax has gelled some, dip or roll zucchini in the flax “egg”.
5) Roll each individual fry in almond flour breading mixture to coat. Set aside.
6) Add more flour/salt mix to plate and make more flax egg as needed until all zucchini is used.
7) Place on greased, flat baking sheet, and cook in oven at 400*, flipping carefully after the first side browns. (Keep a close eye on these — they can burn fairly quickly.) For breaded zucchini, simply fry them in some olive oil on the stove, flipping once browned on one side.

This may not be the most photogenic, but don’t worry about how it looks. It will more than make up for it’s rather non-uniform appearance with it’s uniformly delectable flavor. <3

Featured in Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free.

What are you cooking this weekend?

Stay tuned for another veggie-centric recipe for tomorrow…!

Celebrating
Real Life.
Penny [or Prize] for Your Thoughts?

34 Responses to “Breaded Zucchini and Zucchini Fries (GF + Vegan)”

1. Emma June 4, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

These are absolute genius! Great when It gets to mid summer and I’m inundated with courgettes (zucchini) from the garden :)

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing June 5, 2011 at 9:15 pm #

Courgette is such a classier name for this squash than zucchini… *sigh* :) They were delicious! Let me know if you give them a go!

2. Maryann June 4, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

That looks so so good. I’m starving. I didn’t really eat lunch. I packed a salad for work but didn’t eat it. I have a fear now with this e-coli thing going on. I packed a green smoothie this am to have after exercise drank some but the fear came in. We have lots of local produce I might have to wait and get some locally so I feel more confident.

3. Annie@stronghealthyfit June 4, 2011 at 5:17 pm #

Looks delicious! I’m making some quinoa burgers this weekend :-)

4. Mac June 4, 2011 at 6:39 pm #

What a great idea! Can’t wait to try the fries out!

5. Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 5, 2011 at 12:52 am #

yum yum — zucchs are one of my favorite summertime vegetables!

6. Donna June 5, 2011 at 5:48 am #

AWESOME!! I was just trying to rack my brain for an original “side” for tonight’s dinner…where DO you get your amazing creativity???….Any hooo…thanks for the inspiration! So thrilling to realize I can have a coating on the veggies that adds texture and makes my taste buds happy without tummy tantrums…I’m going to the garden NOW to get some fresh rosemary, and find some garlic to roast with the zucchini “fries”….

7. Chad @ thebreakupnote June 5, 2011 at 8:05 am #

drool – I knew I should’ve picked zucchini p at the store yesterday!

8. Abby June 5, 2011 at 9:13 am #

Great idea! I haven’t been cooking a whole lot this weekend. I’ve been working a lot so I feel like I have been living off of cereal, roasted veggies, and veggie tortilla pizzas! lol

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing June 5, 2011 at 8:46 pm #

Hey, those foods are way better than the majority of American meals — take pride in that! Hopefully you’ll get a break soon :)

9. Liz @ IHeartVegetables June 5, 2011 at 9:00 pm #

Yummm I’ve done this with fiber one cereal but I bet this would be awesome too!! I looove zucchini!

10. Caitlin June 6, 2011 at 5:49 am #

i love zucchini, but it gets difficult to find a lot of different ways to make it. i LOVE this idea! i am definitely going to make this soon! i can only imagine how yummy the almond meal will make it- nutty and very flavorful ;) yummmm..

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing June 6, 2011 at 2:46 pm #

Yes! I’m not sure how it will go with almond meal, rather than almond flour, but I highly doubt it will be any big difference. Just wanted to give you a head’s up that I only used blanched almond flour though! :)

11. Christine June 7, 2011 at 10:49 pm #

Oh man, do these look good! I never would have thought to make fries out of zucchini. I LOVE zucchini, so I imagine i would really like these!

12. Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic June 12, 2011 at 6:07 pm #

Zucchini fries sound delicious! I’ve been obsessed with making asparagus fries lately, and was just wondering what else I can bread and bake ;) I made zucchini fried just once (I fried them) and they turned out to be really soggy and greasy so I think I will stick to baking this time. I’ll also give this GF version a try!

13. breanna August 17, 2011 at 8:20 pm #

i tried these tonight, frying them in coconut oil which i ended up REALLY regretting. I ought to have followed the recipe as written and done it in olive oil…i usually love coconut oil, but in this recipe the sweetness of it kinda ruined the savory experience i was hoping for! I also didn’t have great luck in getting the “breading” to stay put, but it wasn’t too messy, and there was enough on each piece of zucchini to be good. I’ll try it again, maybe adding some herbs to the almond meal, and either baking or frying in olive oil!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing August 18, 2011 at 5:37 pm #

Breanna, so sorry they didn’t work out! :( I find that coconut oil is pretty flavorful, unless I use it in baking, but it is a major bummer that it ruined such a tasty recipe! You may want to sprinkle some almond flour on instead of only dredging it in the flour; I found that to be helpful if I had trouble getting it to stick! Feel free to email or comment if you have questions along the way; I hope it turns out better the second go ’round :) xo

14. Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com December 2, 2011 at 1:12 am #

This is the only zucchini recipe that my husband (who hates zucchini) will enjoy! Thank you for sharing!

15. Elie August 11, 2013 at 4:56 pm #

These did not come out well for me. The “breading” just wouldn’t stick to the zucchini! I greased the pan and it still stuck. I tried it on the stove top instead, same thing. The “breading” comes right off :\

• Katie August 12, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

Hi Elie. Thanks for letting me know you had some problems. This is one of those tricky recipes to assist, because the variation in water content of each squash can be somewhat unpredictable, and might make it hard for the breading to adhere soundly. I’d love to help you troubleshoot the recipe, though! These are my first thoughts: cut the zucchini, and lightly salt it on all sides. Let the slices rest on some paper towels for about 10 minutes — they will “sweat” out the moisture, and you can dab the excess off with the paper towels. I’m hoping that a drier surface will help the flax egg to stay on the zucchini more reliably. In addition, maybe sprinkle the flour mixture on, instead of dredging the zucchini through. Then you’re sure to get a lighter coating, and it will cling better to the flax mix as you cook the squash. There will inevitably be some crumbling, as these aren’t deep-fried, but it shouldn’t all just stick to the pan or anything.

If these don’t help, let me know. I’m sure we can figure it out together, and I want to help you enjoy this recipe!

Thanks again for letting me know that it didn’t work for you. Keep me posted!
      Katie

1. What’s Cookin’: Nebraska Edition | Nourishing Flourishing - June 6, 2011

[...] Zucchini Fries [...]

2. Gluten-Free + Veg 4th of July Ideas | Nourishing Flourishing - July 5, 2011

[...] Zucchini Fries (!) [...]

3. Menu Plan – Week of July 25 | Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom - July 24, 2011

[...] Black Bean Burgers (I will use a chia egg), Zucchini Fries, [...]

4. My 7 Links: Recipe Version! | Nourishing Flourishing - August 3, 2011

[...] Runner-Up: Breaded Zucchini and Zucchini Fries (GF + Vegan) This one has had a resurgence of popularity this week! [...]

5. Plants and Candles » Bibimbap: Simple Healthy Vegetarian Food - February 6, 2012

[...] version is entirely vegan. I borrowed a flax meal trick from Nourishing Flourishing to bread and fry the tofu and it turn out great (used the same trick for some Indian fried chicken [...]

6. 4th of July: GF, Vegan, Vegetarian, Grain-Free, Etc. — for Crowds of All Needs! | Nourishing Flourishing - July 3, 2012

[...] Zucchini Fries (!) [...]