Mix Tape [Post] of Awesome #5

24 May

It’s been a while since the last Mix Tape Post… Normally I try to do Mix Tapes on the weekend so that you have more time to read these gems, but… I just wanted to share anyway. And, I hear Tuesday is the hardest day of the week. Maybe this will get some of you through it. If not, I’d recommend a margarita. That seems to do the trick when reading my Mix Tapes doesn’t. Am I right, or am I right? Please share any highlights you had reading, eating, or living-wise in the comments, too (and yes, of course you can link-up to your own posts, silly)!

Enjoy!

someecards.com - I tend to believe everything I read

Good Reads

Got Culture? How the arts really do make you healthier. (See, that last post wasn’t for nothing!)

Pesticides and Toxins from GMO Food Found in Blood of Pregnant Mothers This recent research flies in the face of claims that pesticides on our food just move in one end of the body and out the other, without leaving a trace. Pesticides are linked with miscarriage, as well as numerous other diseases and conditions, so this should be even more alarming than it already seems. Also, recent studies have shown that pesticides ingested by pregnant mothers has an effect not only on children’s general health, but also lowers their IQ. This article titled, “Pesticides and Our Kids,” is a great follow-up to read.

Can Gut Bacteria Affect Mental Health? I am so thankful to see many, many studies like this one pooping popping up everywhere. After changing my diet significantly to try to rebalance intestinal flora (and to heal from the damage long-term gluten ingestion had done to my body), my life has completely changed. I am the healthiest I have ever been, both physically and emotionally. I truly think committing to activity and restoring the right bacteria ratios in my body through diet are the reasons for this. More and more, especially with the skyrocketing occurrence of autism and ADHD, the medical community is starting to pay heed to the idea that our body is not segmented into hundreds of different, mutually-exclusive parts; our body is composed of systems that interact with each other. We shouldn’t be surprised that one (perhaps seemingly unrelated) system affects another so significantly. Did you read this? Did you know 1 in 6 kids now has a developmental disorder (autism, ADHD, etc.)? Interesting that changes in diet can completely change the autistic behaviors of many of these children.

Belly Fat, Not BMI, Increases Risk of Death I have read similar findings in the past. Unfortunately, most people don’t realize the dangers of carrying excess weight, particularly on your stomach. It’s not an aesthetic issue, it’s one of health.

Four Words That Will Change Your Life Forever You just have to read this. Seriously. (Especially if you’re a parent.)

The Really Simple Way To Get Work Done The key to being productive. Bam.

This post on Peas and Thank You reviewing vegan protein powders. While one doesn’t need protein powder as a vegetarian/vegan, they come in awfully handy sometimes. We have been experimenting with a handful, and all have been kind of…well…disgusting. Sorry! But true. I seriously thought I might upchuck at one. Eeps. This was a great primer to start narrowing down our options again.

Good Eats

The easiest homemade almond milk I’ve ever seen. So simple. And I love simple.

Avocado Pesto & Other Nut Free Alternatives From Gena at Choosing Raw. I’m not even surprised anymore when she whips out deliciousness like this.

Effortless Portobello Burgers Too easy. And as Katie pointed out, these can easily be raw — just let them marinate and don’t cook ‘em!

Bring-The-Party-In-Your-BBQ-Sauce Sauce Let’s get it started in hurr. Vegan, gluten-free. What more can you ask?

Booyah BBQ Socca Pizza (I started salivating — literally — just typing that.) If I could eat this every night for the next month or so, I would be an ecstatically pleasant woman to be around.

Muddy Caesar Salad from Ricki at Diet, Dessert, N Dogs. Vegan, sugar-free, gluten-free, and from what I can tell, raw too! This looks like a perfect way to start in on some summer grub — fresh food and lots of salad! (Whoa, did you know she has a PhD in Modern American Literature? The English major inside me is swooning…)

Good Times

I had another highlight-of-my-life evening with people I adore. Thank you so much, dear ones. And a very special thanks to the man who made it happen, and was more than generous and accommodating to my high-maintenance eating gluten-free and vegetarian needs. If you ever need someone to give you the best meal of your life, let me know. I know a guy. (Oh, and Father-of-The-Guy, Wendell, I hope you liked your doughballs! xoxo)

I’m back to my old book-ish ways. And I like it.

I’m doing a great deal of reflecting on my priorities, what a flourishing life looks like for me, and how to nourish that.

My brother moved to Denver. Woo! Just a short drive away now.

We planted a tree in remembrance of my brother-in-law, Andrew. Yes, that was part of what I was doing in my hometown this past week. I haven’t shared this part of my life yet, but at this point, it’s been less than a year, and I’m just not quite ready to discuss it on the blog. But I will say that it’s truly amazing how much this wonderful man changed me, and it is comforting to think on how this tree will bring such joy to those who sit under it in years to come.

So… I have an outrageous amount of comments to catch up on… Sorry! I know I am shamefully behind; traveling will do that. But thank you for all the comments you left, despite my belated response. : ) They mean so much to me!

Highlight of reading, eating, and living of your week?

Eating Healthy 102: Shopping for Health (Part 1)
Gluten-Free "Bomb" Banana Bread (aka, Everyone's Favorite Thing I Make)
Eating Healthy 108: Traveling (Again)

21 Responses to “Mix Tape [Post] of Awesome #5”

1. Heather Eats Almond Milk May 24, 2011 at 1:16 pm #

Just finishing off a bowl of millet porridge made with the easiest homemade almond milk ever and so so SO good! :)

Thanks for all the links – I love the “mixed tapes”. Totally with ya on the flora. Take my probiotics every day which reminds me I’m out. Thank you.

Hope you’re having a good week thus far – sounds like it was a pretty emotional weekend.

And yes, I need someone to give me the best meal of my life. Thank you. :)

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 27, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

Yum! An emotional weekend for sure. Not a bad thing, but a real thing. I’m glad you like the Mix Tapes! I love sharing all the good stuff out there. Hope you are well! :)

2. Mercedes @ Cultivating Consciousness May 24, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

Another awesomed Mixed-post! Thanks for sharing the story of gut health. After changing my diet, and taking probiotics and aloe vera for a while now, I just added digestive enzymes to my daily intake. Such a huge difference after just a few days!!!
    I just want to point out one thing. The issue of autism and other neuro-developmental issues is very near and dear to my heart. Your post says that 1 in 6 kids has autism, but that statistic is not true. Nearly 1 in 6 kids has a developmental disorder (which includes autism), however the rates for autism are closer to 1 in 90 or 1 in 100. Otherwise, I’m lovin what your layin down!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 24, 2011 at 1:47 pm #

Thanks Mercedes! And yes, you are completely right — I should have been more careful while I was typing/editing this. Oops! I was surprised to see I wrote, “has autism” instead of “like autism.” Trust me, my mother was a special education teacher for around 20 years, so I very much understand the statistics and the need to have accurate information out there about autism. I edited it so things are clear now. You know how these slip-ups happen when you’re in a rush! :) Thanks so much for letting me know.

• Mercedes @ Cultivating Consciousness May 24, 2011 at 1:55 pm #

Awesome! Didn’t mean to be callin you out, but there’s so much mis-information out there about neurobiological issues! And again, I’m glad to see youre sharing such awesome information!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 24, 2011 at 2:26 pm #

No worries, it didn’t feel like a call-out! :) Just a typo-omission. Always grateful when people catch goof-ups and let me know.

3. Holly @ The Runny Egg May 24, 2011 at 2:46 pm #

Thanks for taking the time to put these posts together — I am with you on taking care of our guts! My niece was diagnosed with Autism last year and my family has been learning as much as we can about this — not to “solve” the issues, but to better understand Flora (isn’t it crazy that her name is Flora and you are talking about gut health?) and to help her live her best life.

4. Erin @ Big Girl Feats May 24, 2011 at 3:43 pm #

I love my guts! I totally notice a difference in my mood when I’m not on the up and up, if you know what I mean. I also know I’m amongst my kind of people when I can talk freely about poo. :)

Miss you girl!! So glad you’re getting back to a “regular” schedule (I hope). And the books post!? Swoon. Totally hear you!

5. Ricki May 24, 2011 at 3:58 pm #

So much great information in this post–thanks so much for putting it all together! And thanks for including my salad in the mix (tape)! (btw, no need to swoon–it was definitely *not* the most fun four years of my life) ;) But I did swoon at that almond milk–brilliant! :D

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 27, 2011 at 12:45 pm #

Thanks Ricki! Your salad just looks so delicious; I can’t wait to make it! My husband’s getting his PhD in Philosophy right now so…yes. I can imagine ;) Heather is a genius at simplicity! :)

6. Liz @ IHeartVegetables May 24, 2011 at 4:29 pm #

I’ve had trouble finding a vegan protein powder I like! I think Whey protein is tastier, but it’s not vegan.

I’ve been eating lots of fruit lately, which always makes me happy :)

7. Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 24, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

I made BBQ socca pizza tonight! HEAVEN! Love this post. The only protein powder I like it peanut flour. It is soooo good!

8. kate May 25, 2011 at 6:30 am #

great post now I have motivation to get work done so I can read these!

9. Jessica May 27, 2011 at 11:46 am #

Hi! I recently found your blog and I love it. All of this is fairly new to me but I am enjoying making the changes to my diet. I might be a little late with this comment so I don’t know if you will see it.. but I was wondering if you could do a post talking about how you changed your flora for the better. I am a big believer in what you were talking about with the gut flora but I don’t know how to change it. What are the symptoms of bad flora and how do you know if it is changing? I am so curious about all of this. I recently started drinking kombucha because of all the probiotics in it.

Also, how do you cook all your dried beans? I want to buy them in the bulk section like you do but have no idea what I am doing. I love lentils but I need to find some recipes for them and then I will fill up my grocery cart with some next time I am at the store. :) Your blog is wonderful! You are so funny, I am cracking up reading through these.

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing June 2, 2011 at 8:48 pm #

Hi Jessica! I am so, so, so sorry, I thought I had replied to your comment ages ago! :( Anyway, better late than never, I guess?

I am delighted to hear you like the blog! I plan to do a post on my journey towards flora balance and such very, very soon. One of the easiest ways to tell if you are “off-kilter” in the flora department is if you are having digestive issues. Essentially, you can tell that it’s changing by paying attention to that; if things are getting weird, you can bet your gut flora is wacked out. I’m generalizing here, of course. But you can probably pick up what I’m throwing down. ;)

My favorite recipe is this one for lentil sloppy joes: http://nourishingflourishing.com/2011/04/sloppy-joe-lentil-poseur/ . I cook my dried beans by soaking them in water overnight, and then boiling them for about 40 minutes (until cooked) on the stove the next day. You can also cook them in a crockpot on low for several hours, but that gets a bit trickier. I’ll plan to do a post on my cooking method soon, but hopefully this is basic enough that you get the gist :)

YOU are wonderful, and thank you so much for your comment and your kind words! xoxo

• Jessica June 3, 2011 at 11:50 am #

Thank you so much for that reply! It’s awesome and packed with info :) I am SO excited to try those lentil sloppy joes!! I made your banana bread and my husband and I loved it. A-maz-ing. A local bakery by us makes a strawberry banana bread that is delicious, so the next time I make your recipe (the second my bananas are ripe enough) I am going to experiment a little and throw some strawberries in there.

I am looking forward to you flora post. Based on what you said I think my flora is jacked. And I want to get it ‘unjacked’. :) I was looking for your email because I didn’t want to announce to the whole world that my gut flora is most likely a catastrophe, but its ok… I own my flora!

This blog is a gift! I have learned so much and you have made i so easy to make some big changes! I have probably been 90-95% gluten free for a few weeks! The only times I have had any gluten has been when I am not being militant searching for hidden gluten in salad dressings and the like. I love that you are condiment obsessed because I am too! I am dying to try your ketchup!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing June 5, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

Strawberry banana bread?! Wow. That sounds amazing! Let me know how it goes — I want to try it too :) I love that you wrote, “I own my flora!” Win.

Your comment meant so much to me, Jessica. Seriously, I can’t even tell you. Thank you, thank you, thank you. <3