Booyah BBQ Socca Pizza

22 May

So… About yesterday. Um. My bad. Things were much crazier than I expected, and it is now 1:30am on Sunday as I get ready to finally put my post up. Yeesh. Long day much? Good thing you’re a forgiving bunch ; )

When I prepared to make the BBQ sauce the other day, I was ruminating over what exactly I would use as a vehicle for carrying this deliciousness into my mouth. Sorry, but BBQ sauce is less of a “complement” to food than a food all on its own in my mind… What can I say? I guess that’s another reason my BFF Manfriend calls me The Sauce Queen. I just love condiments. It’s a weakness.

Anyway, obviously I made some portobello burgers and topped them with this smoky, sweet, tangy nectar of the heavens, but I knew this sauce had potential. It could be so much more than a ketchup-replacement. It just needed the chance to shine. So, what do you think my first stop on the Various Sauce Uses trolley was? My other weakness, of course…

BBQ Socca Pizza.

One ticket to Yum Town, please.

If you want to see some of my other socca friends (aka meals), check out this post, and definitely this post. To learn what socca is and see yet another recipe for it, click here.

1/2 C chickpea flour
1/4 C water (feel free to add more if you want a thinner crust, opposite for thicker. Mine was the consistency of pancake batter.)
Generous salt (salt is the main flavoring, so don’t skimp!)
1-3 Tb extra virgin olive oil for pan
Bring-The-Party-In-Your-B.B.(B.)Q.-sauce sauce
organic or vegan cheese
chopped onion (I prefer red, but only had white for this go)
chopped green pepper

Recipe
1) Mix water, chickpea flour, and salt together.
2) Heat 1-3 Tb extra virgin olive oil on medium in a large, flat skillet/pan. (I used my beloved small cast iron.)
3) Pour batter into pan, spreading evenly with a fork if needed to achieve consistent height throughout.
4) Let the bottom crisp, and when it is sturdy flip.
5) Let the other side crisp as well, and when the texture is right for you, it’s done! (I like mine crisped nearly to a char in some places, as you might see in the photos… It reminds me of woodfired crusts!)
6) Add sauce and toppings, and place under broiler briefly for melting if needed (watch carefully!)

This is yet another wildly easy, throw-it-together-in-10-minutes-and-devour-in-two kind of meal. It puts traditional BBQ pizzas to shame; and to be frank, I think it might have something to do with the sauce. Why lie?

The best part? This is high-protein (from the garbanzo flour), high-fiber (= super satiating), grain-free, gluten-free, vegetarian, and depending on what type of cheese you use, vegan. Unlike other BBQ pizzas, you can name and understand every ingredient in here! I know, right? Best idea ever. (Worst idea ever: take pictures of it in the rain. Photos will not be up to standards. Lo siento.) Just throw some salad on the side and bask in the wonder of your efficient and delectable meal-making. Preferably while watching a Harry Potter marathon with your family, half-heartedly working. (The half-heartedly part wasn’t intentional, but you know how these things go.)

And on that note… Go get your B.B.(B.)Q.-in’ on! Trust me. You will want to have this sauce on hand at all times. It can make anything magical…anything. (I am willing to put my money on the fact that it would even be scrumptious with ice cream. Fact.)

P.S. Props to the commenter who predicted I would slather this on pizza. Total win.

Part of Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free

Best part of your week/weekend?

Simple Butternut Squash and White Bean Soup
Dark Chocolate Chip Almond Biscotti
My 7 Links: Recipe Version!

41 Responses to “Booyah BBQ Socca Pizza”

1. Freya May 22, 2011 at 4:15 am #

I’m already a socca addict, so that’s totally on my to-eat list! Love it :)

2. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate May 22, 2011 at 6:01 am #

Mmmm! Must make this!

3. Cameo May 22, 2011 at 7:11 am #

YUM! I am going to make some of that Socca dough stat!

4. Jen May 22, 2011 at 8:44 am #

I’ve only made socca once. And when I did, I was like, “I have to make this ALL the time now!” Yet, I still haven’t made it again. I’ve been meaning to make my own BBQ sauce for a while, so this recipe is definitely calling my name!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 27, 2011 at 1:04 pm #

I know, right?! It’s addicting. And the sauce is seriously perfect (in my not-so-humble-opinion ;) ). It’s tangy, sweet, smoky, and savory all at once!

5. Abby May 22, 2011 at 9:51 am #

This looks so good! :) The best part of my weekend was having a girl’s day yesterday after a long run that ended in the rain! We just hung out and went to the movie Bridesmaids last night!

6. Adam Deane May 22, 2011 at 11:59 am #

I have NEVER tried chickpea flour. I am thinking this is the perfect recipe to start! Now if only I could find it in SW Ontario… I may have to wait until I get out to the West coast. But this pizza looks so good :)

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 27, 2011 at 1:03 pm #

Dude, you have GOT to get on the socca bandwagon. It is amazing. Wish you were closer to CO so I could make you a socca feast and share the glory! :)

7. Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 22, 2011 at 3:00 pm #

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Socca! I want some so badly right now! This looks amazing. Best part of the weekend was definitely going to BlogHer Food. It was such a great event. I hope you had a great one too!

8. Parita May 22, 2011 at 5:31 pm #

I had BBQ pizza for dinner today! I must be honest though – the sauce was store bought (organic and low sugar though :)). Yours looks so delicious and filling…YUM!

9. Holly @ The Runny Egg May 22, 2011 at 7:02 pm #

I love BBQ pizza!

Best part of the weekend — dancing at the reception last night!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 27, 2011 at 1:01 pm #

Oh man, we went to a wedding too, and I danced my heart out. I think I actually drove people away from the reception! LOL!

10. Lauren May 22, 2011 at 9:55 pm #

Well that just looks delicious. I was never a fan of BBQ pizza because it usually involved chicken so this looks perfect.

11. Devan May 22, 2011 at 10:03 pm #

your photos are gorgeous!
    and that pizza looks amazing.. xxo

12. jenna k May 23, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

i’ve never tried chickpea flour, but this sounds so easy that i might have to pick up some the next time i’m out!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 27, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

You will NOT regret it! Just don’t eat it before you cook it…blech! :P The finished product, however, is amazing!

13. McKayla @ Green Groats May 23, 2011 at 8:13 pm #

This looks awesome! I’m so going to make it later this week:)

14. Christine May 24, 2011 at 9:59 pm #

After seeing a socca pizza in Amy’s cookbook, I wanted to try it. After looking at yours, now I REALLY want to! These look fantastic!

15. Christina @ According To C May 26, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

Thank you thank you thank you! I just embarked on a major diet overhaul to fight a bout of candida and was sad that pizza might not see my tummy for some time :( but this crust is brilliant! Now i just have to make myself a sugar-less tomato sauce and I’m all good!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 27, 2011 at 12:22 pm #

Yay!!! Let me know how it goes. Good luck with the candida — such a bummer! <3

• Christina @ According To C June 1, 2011 at 9:07 am #

Definite bummer. I’m not a fan, but you do what you have to do to feel better!
        I made the crust and I loved it! And so quick and easy to pull together. Good eats!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing June 1, 2011 at 9:59 am #

Yay! So happy to hear it went well! :) So dangerously easy and tasty. It would be easy to just never make anything else. I’m not gonna lie, that was my life for about a solid month before I realized I might need a little more diversity in my diet ;) “One cannot live on [socca] bread alone…”

16. Blake May 26, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

Practice safe eating, use condiments, I always say.

17. Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine May 27, 2011 at 1:44 pm #

Hi! I got a link to your site from another blog and the socca pizza is BRILLIANT! I’ve already made it twice :) Thank you so much!!!

18. sarah (sarah learns) June 2, 2011 at 9:25 am #

i’ve been searching for socca inspiration as i bought a bag of garbanzo bean flour over 2 months ago and still haven’t used it – this is on my list! :)

19. eva626 June 4, 2011 at 3:36 pm #

wow…i love chickpea flour and now i will try this as pizza dough!!! thanks

1. Mix Tape [Post] of Awesome #5 | Nourishing Flourishing - May 24, 2011

[...] Booyah BBQ Socca Pizza (I started salivating — literally — just typing that.) If I could eat this every night for the next month or so, I would be an ecstatically pleasant woman to be around. [...]

2. Progress Report « According To C - May 30, 2011

[...] describe. But. One of the blogs I read, Nourishing Flourishing, featured a post the other day for pizza made with a chickpea flour crust. This came to mind as I realized I might not have to go [...]

3. Spicy BBQ Chicken Pizza | The Runny Egg - June 2, 2011

[...] like pizza? You can have it any way you want: whole wheat crust, cheese crust, stuffed crust, socca crust, on English muffins, on tortillas. You name a dietary concern and you can probably still make some [...]