Blueberry Scones (Scuffins If You So Desire) … And Normalcy

12 May

Whew. What a month this has been! Well, we’re about to return to routine around here, friends. That means no more sentence-long posts, or late posts (oops…sorry about this one). Comments will finally be answered, emails sent, work done. It means we’re getting back into our groove. In fact, yesterday I cooked again for a good chunk of time — and it felt so wonderful to be back in my element! I had something in the crockpot, something on the stove, and something in the oven all afternoon and evening. My hands were covered in dough. My apron was tied. My tunes were on. My heart was happy. Ah…bliss.

Well, firstly, can I say that for those of you who — for whatever reason, be it allergies, budget (though remember, it’s only about the cost of a jar of almond butter — especially if you make your own!), or otherwise — aren’t able to make the recipes using almond flour — I tried for you. I really, really tried. For a long time, and with much experimentation. And unfortunately, it was a fail. My oatmeal maple raisin  scones turned into…baked oatmeal that tasted like soda bread (and not really in a good way). Hm. Lesson learned. I’ll be trying again, so stay tuned! Sorry.

But, I also made blueberry scones.

These are similar to the raspberry scones of yore (which happen to be one of the most popular recipes on the blog). My sister (in-law) and (soon-to-be) brother (in-law), as I mentioned before, spent a couple nights here, and, crazies that they are, packed up and were out the door by 3am this morning. For a 9+ hour drive back to Lincoln, Nebraska. Yes. Insanity. Knowing this was their game plan, I wanted to be sure that they had some kind of breakfast or other munchable with them. So, I made some scones. I realized too late that I probably made a poor choice by making scones, because Abby lived in Scotland for a few years when she was in university at St. Andrew’s… And if you’ve lived in the UK, you know what real scones are. They’re not the overly sweet, Super-Pastries on sugar steroids that we have here in the U.S. of A.; they’re more like biscuits, with a hint of sweetness. You spread on some clotted cream, and maybe some preserves – which if we added to American scones, would instantly give people cardiac arrest and type 2 diabetes at the first bite… (Sorry. It’s true.)

So, I tried to make these relatively mild in the sweetness factor to keep things legit, but it’s hard to get that same flaky, dry, dense texture that comes from traditional flour scones when you use almond flour. Instead, these are fairly moist (*shudder* — that word), which the juicy blueberries only enhance. So if you are a severely conservative scone-ist, these are more like a scuffin, or muffin top (just shape them round and ditch the egg wash). Regardless, you can leave these out overnight uncovered or lightly covered, and they will be closer to the superior UK experience ; ) Fear not.

2 1/2 C. blanched almond flour (make your own and save)
2 Tb. arrowroot powder (if you don’t have it, sub some coconut flour, chickpea flour, or extra almond flour)
3/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 ethically sourced egg (I plan to try a vegan version ASAP — don’t worry! I just need to get some chia)
1/4 c. agave or honey
1 t. apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
1 Tb. vanilla
1/2 t. almond extract (optional)
1/4 – 1/2 C. frozen blueberries (fresh should work fine too — just keep your hands wet while working with the dough. If you want a less soft, moist scone, use dried blueberries.)

1) Mix dry ingredients.
2) Mix wet ingredients. Add wet to dry.
3) Add blueberries, and gently combine.
4) With wet hands, shape dough into a ball and place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
5) Flatten to about 3/4″ thickness, and slice into 8 pieces, like a pizza.
6) Using a flat, thin spatula, carefully separate pieces so they will have room to bake.
7) If desired, use an egg wash on top for a crisp top texture (whisk an egg and apply a very thin layer on tops of scones).
8 ) Place in 350* oven for about 15 minutes, removing when edges and tops start to brown. Let cool for an hour at least.

Is it silly to admit that I woke up this morning with an Abby and Kyle shaped hole in my heart? I came close to belting out “All By Myself” — close. But the goods news is…this won’t be the last time I see them. Wink. Nudge. Eyebrow-raised nod in their general direction. So, so, so excited to see more of these two. (Though I confess, I probably should have made sure Kyle was actually looking at me when I took this…oops. I owe you one really good headshot-blog-feature, Kyle.)

We really miss them when they aren’t around… Mainly because it means less opportunities for awkward family photos:

We’re a close bunch, as you can see… Very close.

Are you a harcore scone snob? (Thankfully, I don’t think these two are.)

What’s the best thing to happen to you this week?

Simple Butternut Squash and White Bean Soup
Simple, Natural, Sugar-Free Soda (AKA: The Mocktail)
Real Life.

53 Responses to “Blueberry Scones (Scuffins If You So Desire) … And Normalcy”

1. Abby May 12, 2011 at 4:13 pm #

Oh my gosh. Those are some of my favorite food photos I have seen on your blog since I’ve been reading! I’m not a scone snob at all…lol. I think those look insanely good!

The best thing that has happened to me this week is getting my apartment deep cleaned, baking some (hopefully yummy) vegan brownies, and actually getting to attend my favorite exercise classes since school is out! My birthday is Saturday-so hopefully that will be good too! :)

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 12, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

Wow, thank you Abby! :) So happy to hear you like them.

There is nothing in the world like a deep-cleaned apartment — nothing! And vegan brownies to top it off? Win! I plan to check out more classes as well now that summer is here — yay! Happy happy birthday to you!!!

2. Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa May 12, 2011 at 4:13 pm #

I wouldn’t say I am a scone snob, but having had the real thing (with the clotted cream – gasp!), they are hard to beat. Thankfully my mom is an expert scone baker and I can rely on her for a delicious Sunday treat.

My best friend finally came to visit me in Iowa. (It has only been 5 years…no biggie!). That was pretty great.

3. Freya May 12, 2011 at 4:15 pm #

YAY you’re back!
    Welll, I have a confession: I don’t like scones.
    :O
    The only ones I’ve had were dry and crumbly and just…not pleasant. BUT, I’m thinking if you made me a batch of them, sent them to England (whilst keeping them hot and fresh from the oven – I’m trusting you have superpowers here), and I got to eat them – well, I may just like them!
    Best thing…my cat cuddles :)

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 12, 2011 at 4:50 pm #

YAY! I’m back :) I missed you my dear. But I simply cannot understand this: You are British, but hate tea and scones?!? When will the madness end?! ;)

4. Abby and Kyle May 12, 2011 at 4:33 pm #

we love you.

(and for anyone reading, the scones really are incredible and deliciously perfect.)

5. Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) May 12, 2011 at 4:57 pm #

This was so sweet! Those scones look amazing! I would say they are perfect for me! I am not a snob when it comes to scones though…if it’s more muffin like, I’m good with that too!

6. Chris May 12, 2011 at 5:01 pm #

A totally YUM…AWWWWW! post, Katie

7. Ellie@fitforthesoul May 12, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

I lurve sconesss!!! this one looks like a real keeper-scone! :D I bet it’s easy on the tummy too, since it has no butter.

8. Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 12, 2011 at 6:08 pm #

These look delish! I just bought the biggest blueberries I’ve ever seen at the farmer’s market. I love how they burst in your mouth when you cook them. :)

9. Pure2raw Twins May 12, 2011 at 6:51 pm #

Scones look great! Love the freshness of the blueberries give those scones!!! Perfect for spring and summer :) I am not much of a scone snob haha I might be a socca snob though haha

10. Holly @ The Runny Egg May 12, 2011 at 9:24 pm #

Those scones are so precious!

11. Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 13, 2011 at 6:47 am #

Aww, cute family pics!

Oh, and I’m a total scone snob.

12. Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 13, 2011 at 6:48 am #

Finally a scone recipe without 2 sticks of butter! Totally worth the lack of crumbly-ness to save all that fat!

13. Erin @ Big Girl Feats May 13, 2011 at 7:55 am #

Those scones look amazing. And the pictures too! So professional :) Yay family! Mine is two hours away in one direction and 45 minutes away in another and I don’t see them nearly enough. Sigh. Must make that happen. Oh, and I DO have family about 20 hours in your direction!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 14, 2011 at 9:15 am #

You are way too nice to me. :) You know, I think you should visit your family soon — it’s just a 20 hour drive, no big!

14. Emilia May 13, 2011 at 10:58 pm #

These look amazing! I love how their gluten- free, and contain all natural sugars. I’m most definitely bookmarking this recipe. And your amazing blog, too! I love meeting other fellow nutrition and gluten free nerds:)

15. Ragnhild May 15, 2011 at 12:44 am #

mmmhmm, these looks so you! Love to find new recipes made with almond flour!!

16. Trish May 15, 2011 at 9:42 pm #

Just started following your blog. Love your recipes. Just ate one of these scones and oh my, it was delish!! Can’t wait to have one with tea in the morning! Thank you!

17. Nancy B. May 26, 2011 at 7:18 pm #

Tonight I used this recipe minus the blueberries to make a topping for mango cobbler. I made individual ramekins. They were gorgeous and tasted incredible. People put refrigerated thick coconut milk (straight from the can) onto the top. It was perfection. I can tell the scuffin/scones will taste good too. I’ll make them again with the blueberries!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 27, 2011 at 12:10 pm #

WOW — Nancy, that sounds wonderful! Should have invited me ;) Thanks so much for sharing your method, it just makes my day when I feel like my recipe was a part of a good gathering :) Let me know how you like the blueberry version!

18. Bettina July 3, 2011 at 10:47 am #

Hello, this is my first comment, I really love your site!! :) Today I baked this Scuffins, and what shall I say? Forget muffins, forget scones, these Scuffins are incredible!! Thank´s a lot for great recipe! I just made a little change and added a vanilla-blueberry-glace on top. Yum! Here is my post with some fotos, but it´s in german:

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing July 4, 2011 at 11:18 am #

Thank you Bettina! I’m so glad you loved them! I am going to ask around so someone can translate your post into English for me :) I look forward to “reading” it (by means of a friend, hehe). It looks like you did a lovely job! The glaze looks so, so delicious! xoxo

19. Sarah March 24, 2012 at 7:00 am #

I finally made these (about a year later! ha!), and they were great. I have been craving scones lately (too much Escape to the Country, perhaps), but have had to give up wheat due to being on a low-FODMAP diet. I ran out of almond flour so used half sorghum flour and it worked perfectly! Crispy on the outside, soft and delicious on the inside. Next up will be the vanilla scones!

20. Jen December 7, 2012 at 6:44 am #

Hello,

Firstly, I’ve loved your blog posts and recipes. Your blueberry scones are a regular treat in our house and with friends (even friends who don’t eat grain free) and they’ve been such a hit.

Secondly, I’ve made an orange cranberry version of your recipe and would like to post about it on my blog with a link to your original recipe. I wouldn’t put the whole recipe on my site, just the changes I made, so people will have to acknowledge you as the original author/recipe developer extraordinaire.

I’m not comfortable doing this without your permission. Please let me know when you can.

Hope you are having a great Christmas season!

Jen

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing December 7, 2012 at 5:09 pm #

Hi Jen! Thanks so much for your kind words — you are too sweet! I’m so delighted that you (and your friends!) like the recipes. I always feel honored when people make my recipes, but it’s especially encouraging to hear that they like ‘em enough to share with their loved ones. :)

Your orange cranberry adaptation sounds delicious! And so perfect for winter and fall. I’d love to read about it on your blog. I really, really appreciate you asking, and being so conscientious about the way you plan to post it (i.e., not just copying and pasting the recipe, etc.).

Thank you so much for checking with me first. Please feel free to post any adaptations — I look forward to trying them out myself! :)

xo.
      Katie

• Jen December 7, 2012 at 5:20 pm #

Thank you Katie! You are so gracious. I’m addicted to these scones. We actually have a home school co-op meet at our home and I’ve made the blueberry scones for them (and a bunch of Sunday school girls) and everyone raves. “These are GRAIN FREE?!”, they say. It gets ‘em every time.

Thanks again – I hope to post really soon.

Jen

• Jen December 19, 2012 at 8:22 pm #

FYI – I posted the recipe today. I hope to make them for Christmas morning breakfast.

Have a wonderful Christmas with your family!

Jen

21. kim March 25, 2013 at 9:22 am #

these were great! i found them on pinterest. my kids loved them too and they are very picky esp. with GF. i did not have arrowroot so i added extra almond flour as advised. i also added a little organic raw sugar (1/2 agave, 1/2 raw sugar) and some coconut oil. i halved the batch and put blueberries in 1 batch and chocolate chips in the other. they did not last long at all. thx

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 1, 2013 at 9:04 am #

Thanks so much for your comment, Kim! It’s always such a delight to hear that the recipes work even for picky kiddos. :) I might need to try your half sugar idea — I bet that provided a nice crisp touch to the outside! I’ve been thinking that I should also try a chocolate chip batch — that sounds delectable. Glad to hear that both variations were a hit! xo

22. Jacquee W April 29, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

I just made a batch of these scones with flax seed egg replacer, and they are delicious!

• Katie April 30, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

Wonderful news! Thanks so much for letting us know, Jacquee — I’m often asked if the recipe will work with a “vegan egg,” so I’ll be sure to mention your success to those wondering! So glad you enjoyed them. xo

23. Roberta Tam April 30, 2013 at 6:24 pm #

Just made these and they’re amazing! I used a flax egg and almond flour i made from making almond milk.

Thanks so much! Now I know what I’m going to use all my leftover almond pulp for!

• Katie June 9, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

Awesome! Thanks so much for letting me know, Roberta!

1. Mix Tape [Post] of Awesome #4 | Nourishing Flourishing - May 15, 2011

[...] Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, (Refined) Sugar-Free Blueberry Scones and Scuffins. Mmm. Blueberries = Springtime. [...]

2. May Madness: What You Missed. Also, I love you. | Nourishing Flourishing - May 31, 2011

[...] Why!) Mix Tape [Post] of Awesome #4 Ethics of Eating: A Snapshot Another Traveling Trick Blueberry Scones (Scuffins If You So Desire) … And Normalcy Good Company Postcard(ish) Celebrating Learning to Love Best Bangin’ Marinara and Eggplant [...]

3. Vanille-Heidelbeer-Scuffins – eine traumhafte Kombination aus Muffins und Scones | Gusto & Aroma - July 3, 2011

[...] Ihr merkt, ich koche und blogge im Moment viel, aber es sind eeendlich Ferien!! Und da draußen ein richtiges Oktoberwetter tobt, gibt es doch nichts schöneres als endlich all die schönen Rezepte auszuprobieren die schon länger auf der to-do-Liste liegengeblieben sind. Unter anderem dieses hier. [...]

4. My 7 Links: Recipe Version! | Nourishing Flourishing - August 3, 2011

[...] Blueberry Scones and Scuffins.  I don’t know how anyone could look at these and not salivate. There. I said [...]

5. Cranberry Orange Scones (grain free, dairy free, gluten free) | my BIG FAT grain free life - December 20, 2012

[...] favorite scone recipe is by Katie at Nourishing Flourishing.  I’ve made her Blueberry Scones dozens of times for family, friends, teenage Sunday school girls, and home school co-op kids.  [...]

6. Coconut Mango Scone | my BIG FAT grain free life - January 23, 2013

[...] deduce that Americans…are really classy?  Hmmm… After trying an incredible recipe for Blueberry Scones from one of my favorite bloggers, Nourishing Flourishing, I had to try the recipe with some of my [...]

7. Simply Vintagegirl Blog » Blog Archive » Gluten-Free Blueberry Scone Recipe - April 6, 2013

[...] Scones GLUTEN-Free, GRAIN-Free, DAIRY-Free (Based on this recipe from Nourishing Flourishing – thanks, [...]

8. Surgery & What the Bake Friday! | PNW Runner - September 13, 2013