Vegan Gluten-Free Dough Balls: Cinnamon Raisin (Coconut) + Chocolate Chip

Thanks for understanding and being patient with my delay ; ) So you know how I said the post would have to wait until I had good enough light to takes some pictures? Guess what happened last night? SNOW. Yes. Snow. This is Colorado, and Colorado does what it pleases. Including snowing in April, May, and sometimes June if it really wants to. K, thanks Colorado… Anyway, I’m sure it will be back up to 80* in no time (and then probably back down to blizzard shortly after). I wish I were J.K. -ing…

But, I decided to make do with what I had. So, I put some slippers on, grabbed my camera, my special treats, turned up the Captain and Tennille, and braved the slushy, cold conditions. This may not be my best paparazzi session. I’m sorry (sad face). Perhaps I’ll have to make these again and replace these photos. I (wrongly) tried to overcompensate for the lacking photo zing by providing an outrageous amount of pictures. Sorry. Again. But the recipe is so tasty, I just can’t wait any longer to share it! In fact, after debating with myself, I just caved and decided to share two. One  more is waiting in the wings…but it is 100% my BFF Man Partner’s favorite thing I make. He literally asks me to bake it every. single. week. No joke, he was so proud that he took some along with the delights below to share with his thesis committee (yes, he’s a sweet, thoughtful dude, and yes, he is defending his hard and brilliant work today! Yay!) However, I think we may have a new runner up to the unnamed delicacy…! ; ) Ladies and gents, may I present the two latest additions to the Dough ball family…. (P.S. I can’t decide if I like dough balls or doughballs [one word] better. Feel free to cast your vote. It helps indecisive people like me.)

Vegan, Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

I blame Mama Pea (you saucy minx) for instigating this obsession with dough balls. I saw them. I drooled. I had to recreate a version that was GF (though take note: she has a raw version that is GF!). And now, I just can’t stop. The variation ideas keep me up at night (truth). On an unrelated note, I’m currently looking for 12-step programs…

(And yes, I do apologize that I lack variety in background cloths. Please feel free to either send me money to purchase some, or contribute any fantastic placemats you may have lying around … )

Vegan, Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

2 1/2 C blanched almond flour (you can easily make your own — yay!)
2 Tb arrowroot powder (you can probably sub a little coconut flour or extra almond flour if you don’t have it)
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/3 C agave (or honey)
1 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 Tb vanilla
1/2 C dark chocolate chips or carob

1) Mix dry ingredients.
2) Mix wet ingredients, add to dry.
3) Using a tablespoon measure or mini ice cream scoop that has been run under water (to keep dough from sticking), spoon balls of dough onto parchment-lined baking sheet.
4) Pop in the oven at 350* for about 10-15 minutes (until lightly browned on the tops).
5) Remove and let cool.

Fun fact: For the sake of transparency, I should state that I ended up liking the version with the same ingredients as my Dark Chocolate Chip Almond Biscotti best! Different method though, so it stills counts. ; ) If you want them to stay doughy soft inside, place them in an airtight container. I resoftened mine overnight and they were even better the next day! These are seriously BOMB!

And next up…

Vegan, Gluten-Free Cinnamon Raisin (Coconut) Dough Balls

Allow me to reminisce: These taste almost exactly like my grandma’s favorite oatmeal cookie (um, minus the oatmeal). I baked them for her one last time before she passed in February, and the absolute joy she got from having them again convinced me that cooking healthfully for people matters. A lot. It is a highly practical, humble, but deeply loving act. I always tell my family and friends that I cook constantly because nourishing food is how I say, “I love you. You matter.” When people ask me how baking has anything to do with the important issues in the world today or a meaningful life, I can only smile.

Nutritious food is a language everyone understands.

Vegan, Gluten-Free Cinnamon Raisin (Coconut) Dough Balls

2 1/2 C blanched almond flour (you can easily make your own — yay!)
3 Tb cinnamon
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/3 C agave (or honey)
1 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 Tb vanilla
1 Tb coconut oil (to keep it moist)
1/2 C organic raisins (please use organic — regular raisins are insanely high in pesticides!)
1/4 C (+) unsweetened, preservative-free shredded coconut (optional)

1) Mix dry ingredients.
2) Mix wet ingredients, add to dry.
5) Remove and let cool.

Now, these may look a little dry and crumbly — but they aren’t! They are actually quite sturdy (in the sense they hold together well), but soft. As with the chocolate chip doughballs, just place these in an airtight container for a few hours/overnight to make ‘em even doughy-er.

In case you were curious, here are some “inside” shots:

(Mixin’ it up with the cloth. Obviously.)

And with that, I’ll end my little postcard of love to you (remember? Good food = my love language). < 3 Have a fabulous rest of your day my friends!

This recipe is part of Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesday.

Any other dough ball ideas? (Maybe you shouldn’t further enable my addiction though…Or not. Yes, I take it back — go ahead and tell me. )

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS HUSBAND ON YOUR LONG + THOROUGH + WORLD-CHANGING  THESIS! So proud of you bub! < 3 < 3 < 3

Healthy Quick Crust
Summer Grilling Marinade
Natural "Gum"

66 Responses to “Vegan Gluten-Free Dough Balls: Cinnamon Raisin (Coconut) + Chocolate Chip”

1. Freya April 14, 2011 at 2:46 pm #

OOhhh delicious! The 2nd set look just like scooops of cinnamon-y ice cream! [and that's a good thing, a very very good thing, in my book]
    I think you should make double chocolate dough balls (not doughballs – dough balls. Doughballs is weird to read because my Mac underlines it with a red squiggle and says it’s spelt wrong. Macs are always right!) because…because. Because I said so!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 15, 2011 at 10:35 pm #

Oooh, you know what? You reminded me: I once worked at an ice cream shop, and it had loads of unique flavors. One that I presumed I would loathe was cinnamon. It wasn’t like a cinnamon candy, it was like cinnamon spice. And it rocked my world. I can’t even describe how good it was! :) Thus, your comment totally resonated with me, lol. Yes, yes, I concur — double chocolate must happen. And yes, I like one word so much better too! :) We’re just weird, Freya. < 3

2. Holly @ The Runny Egg April 14, 2011 at 2:50 pm #

I think your pictures look great — and I prefer doughballs as one word.

I can’t comment on the cinnamon raisin ones since they have coconut (which I hate – sorry!) but the choc chip ones look delicious. And I love the short ingredient list so that means they don’t take forever to mix up!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 15, 2011 at 10:36 pm #

1 word wins! :) You can totally leave out the coconut if you want to try the cinnamon, but the choc chip ones are seriously awesome as well. Yes, the list is so simple; they come together surprisingly fast!

3. Matt April 14, 2011 at 2:50 pm #

Holla! These look good!

Totally making them when I get home from work tonight ;)

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 15, 2011 at 10:37 pm #

Make ‘em make ‘em make ‘em! Seriously. I took a huge batch of each to a dinner, and they were gone in less than 10 minutes. Not a crumb left. So. Good.

4. Alayna @ Thyme Bombe April 14, 2011 at 2:54 pm #

Yes! Perfect dessert, I know I’ll be making these at some point!

5. Heidi @ Food Doodles April 14, 2011 at 3:12 pm #

Oh my, those look so yummy! I’m saving this recipe and I’m going to try it out soon! Love the ingredients list in both :D

6. kate@ahealthypassion April 14, 2011 at 3:40 pm #

sorry about your snow :( soo sad… but I am loving your obsession with balls they are making me drool!

7. Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 14, 2011 at 3:51 pm #

The insides of those balls look scrumptious… hahaha!

8. Abby April 14, 2011 at 4:02 pm #

I prefer doughballs as one word! These look SO good! I can see why they would be addicting! lol

9. Heba @ My Life in a Pyramid April 14, 2011 at 4:17 pm #

These look incredible. I’ve been slightly obsessed with ball-like desserts lately lol. I’ll have to try these!

10. Erin @ Big Girl Feats April 14, 2011 at 5:02 pm #

Oh no you didn’t! I would suggest a mint chocolate chip dough ball as your next project. Mainly because mint chip is my favorite! And now I know what to get you for Christmas :)

Congrats to the Hubs! Way to nourish and flourish the academic community!

11. Tessa @ Amazing Asset April 14, 2011 at 5:32 pm #

There is no need to apologize for the pictures, they look great!
    I agree with the reader above me, mint chocolate could be a tasty combination :)

12. Alaina Rose @ Sweetness Of Life April 14, 2011 at 5:44 pm #

Mmmm you are AMAZING! Those look so good :-)

13. Caitlyn (The Spoonful of Life) April 14, 2011 at 7:03 pm #

Holy yum, those look good! There were moved to the top of my to-make list :-)

Congratulations Katie’s Husband!

14. Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 14, 2011 at 7:05 pm #

Ok, I just have to say that these look INCREDIBLE!!! Nutritious and delicious – I’ll take it! :)

Sounds like you live in Wisconsin from that weather. We have snow forecasted for this weekend. It’s slightly insane by all standards. ;)

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 15, 2011 at 10:57 pm #

Haha, the snow was totally melted that afternoon. I started sweating when I went outside?!! Oh Colorado; you are so bipolar! ;) Try the balls! Soooo goood! :D

15. Katie (quick cook rice) April 14, 2011 at 7:29 pm #

I heart your background cloths! But I hear ya, prop buying is pricey and kind of silly! These balls look delish.

16. Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) April 15, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

Those dough balls look amazing! I can’t even imagine being in that weather, I was just at the beach lol Too cold for me :(

17. (what runs) Lori April 15, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

Wow- super easy! I love them! I know how you feel about making something so yummy… I’d eat them all too. ;)

Congrats to your hubby!!!!!!

18. Caroline @ The G-Spot April 15, 2011 at 3:56 pm #

MUST. MAKE. ALL. OF. THESE. :)

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 15, 2011 at 10:52 pm #

Doooo iiiiit!!!! :D They are so so so simple and delicious! I took them to a dinner and they were totally destroyed in less than 10 minutes. Bam!

19. Gina April 15, 2011 at 9:37 pm #

OMG! I love her dough balls but was so sad they’re not GF! So glad you adapted the recipe :)

I would totally add PB into the first batch!

20. Adam Deane April 15, 2011 at 11:15 pm #

Mama Pea’s dough balls are legendary, so I am going to assume GF dough balls are right up there as well, better for me at least… You definitely have mad talent as a baker, if the whole English / grad school thing doesn’t work out ;)

21. Katie April 16, 2011 at 11:10 pm #

These sound so good! can’t wait to try them :)

22. Christine April 19, 2011 at 4:02 pm #

Oh my goodness! These look fantastic! At Christmas I made some chocolate chip cookie truffles and it was hard to stop eating them, so I can only imagine how tasty these are!

23. Pure2raw twins April 20, 2011 at 4:56 pm #

I am glad that I finally have time to catch up on all your posts especially this one!!! YUM these dough balls are perfect!!!!

24. Shanda June 9, 2011 at 7:08 pm #

These look yummy and are going into a recipe book that I am making for my mom =) (belated mothers day gift). A flavor I thought of was strawberry cheescake. I don’t know if that is possible, especially without dairy but that’s what popped into my head. Pumpkin ones would be good around Thanksgiving!

And by the way I LOVE your posts. I thought I would die when I saw GF scones =)

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing June 11, 2011 at 9:27 am #

Thanks Shanda! Hmm… I will brainstorm ways to make that flavor idea work! Thank you so much — I am delighted to hear you are digging the posts :)

25. Gillian August 21, 2011 at 10:17 am #

yup, im making these ASAP. thinking about chopping up a TJs dark chocolate with caramel and sea salt bar instead of dark chocolate chips… mmmmm cant wait

26. Karen August 30, 2011 at 7:00 am #

Those look delicious! Am I reading correctly that the chocolate chip ones have no oil and 1 1’2 Tablespoons of vanilla? Thanks!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing September 3, 2011 at 2:42 pm #

Yes, Karen, you are reading correctly! :) No oil needed — the agave, vanilla, and oil that leaches out from the almonds provides enough moisture. Hope you love ‘em! Let me know. :)

27. Joshua November 29, 2011 at 5:38 pm #

Based on our work in R&D last week it is recommended that for the Dark Chocolate Chip Doughballs the recipe raise the honey content to 1/2 cup and the vanilla to 2 Tb. This allows for a slightly wetter dough making it easier to work with.

28. Meredith @ DareYouTo March 5, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

Um, I can’t wait to make these. I recently started eating gluten-free and these will make it all betterrrr :)

1. Mix Tape [Post] of Awesome #2 | Nourishing Flourishing - April 18, 2011

[...] My new gluten-free, vegan doughball flavors:Cinnamon Raisin Coconut (coconut optional) and Dark Chocolate Chip! [...]

2. Double Dark Chocolate Doughballs | Nourishing Flourishing - April 30, 2011

[...] know…it’s a sickness. I get fixated on things. Beans. Hummus. Doughballs. But in my defense — I think such obsessions really make one exercise some creativity; at [...]

3. Summer Dreaming: GF and Vegetarian BBQ Ideas | Nourishing Flourishing - May 18, 2011

[...] Flourless Peanut Butter Doughballs, Cookies, and PB Banana Bombs Dark Chocolate Chip Doughballs Cinnamon Raisin (+ Coconut) Doughballs Cinnamon Sugar Dessert Hummus Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dessert Hummus Chocolate Fudge Brownie [...]

4. Gluten-Free + Veg 4th of July Ideas | Nourishing Flourishing - July 1, 2011

[...] Dark Chocolate Chip Doughballs [...]

5. Think This, Not That: For Real | Nourishing Flourishing - August 20, 2011

[...] 1 Batch Cinnamon Raisin Coconut [...]

6. Pumpkin Pie Smoothie | Kinda Bananas - August 20, 2011

[...] – and I REALLY want to make these gluten free dough ball I found online. I have all the ingredients, and those pictures are calling [...]

7. 7 Things I Learned From The 2011 Healthy Living Summit | The Wannabe Chef - August 24, 2011

[...] and vegan doughballs. I can’t think of a better cookie I’ve ever had. I’ve already bookmarked her recipe and plan to make it soon. Which brings me [...]

8. Put A Fork In It…. | Kinda Bananas - September 5, 2011

[...] After about an hour of shows, I baked some cookies: [...]

9. COOKIE PARTY | kelseywurtz's Blog - October 14, 2011

[...] saw the pictures of the cookies on pure2raw yesterday and followed a link to Nourishing Flourishing and immediately knew I must bake them then stuff my face with [...]

10. almond meal chocolate chip cookie recipe grain free — pure2raw - April 13, 2012

[...] for our vegan readers – flourless banana almond chocolate chip cookie or you can follow Katie’s recipe like we [...]

11. almond meal chip cookies | purelytwins - June 22, 2013