Mix Tape [Post] of Awesome #2

I held off on this one since my little health scare drama put me a little off schedule on posts. So, since I know you all were waiting with bated breath ; ) …here are some highlights (good reads, eats, and times) I have been excited to share all week! Again, it’s like your very own New York Times Sunday Edition (a little late). There were some rockin‘ articles and posts that I am so stoked to include. I just want you to know that I put a lot of time into considering what to deem worthy of your precious time; hopefully one of these will jump out at you : )

Oh, Levar Burton... XOXO

Good Reads

• Erin of Big Girl Feats’ series Out of the Closet (An amazing story of her growth and healing.)
  • Mama Pea of Peas and Thank You’s Education on Food summarizing what she took from a Michael Pollan talk
  • **** This article on Precocious (Early) Puberty. This other short article offers an idea of why. The age of puberty is getting lower each year, especially among girls. And it comes with many risks – emotional and physical (diabetes, metabolic disorders, breast cancer, etc.). As someone who had to wear a bra in 2nd grade, and started my period (sorry, TMI? Oops.) in 4th grade, I strongly recommend reading this. Especially if you are a parent. I wholeheartedly believe we can trace the majority of the causation for this back to our hormone-infused food products (specifically meat and dairy), processed foods (including highly estrogenic soy), environmental factors like BPA, and the exposure of young ones to sexualized entertainment. Makes me livid. (Wow — soapbox, sorry.)

Good Eats and Drinks

Good Times

Meh. I’m not too interesting in The Good Times Department. Shucks.

Did you actually go and read any of these? ; ) If you did, let me know in the comments! xoxo

(Maybe I’ll even send you a treat, you never know!)

Postcard(ish)
Recipe Recycle: Dark Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars (Or Pizookie)
Grad School Gourmet: Bean-y Bruschetta (Vegan!)

60 Responses to “Mix Tape [Post] of Awesome #2”

1. Freya April 18, 2011 at 4:22 am #

I plan on commenting then watching the celiac video (it’s loading atm :D) and then going to read about sugar! A faboosh start to the morning, IMHO :)

• Freya April 18, 2011 at 4:24 am #

OH and I just read No Meat Athlete’s post, anddd I checked out the mint smoothie, which sounds awesome!
      I’m such a nerd. :/

2. Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 18, 2011 at 4:34 am #

Great topics Katie! I’m actually really interested to read the Sugar and Puberty ones. In my Biology class last semester we talked about the early onset of puberty happening lately, so it now just interests me to learn more! Thanks for sharing these!

3. Cameo April 18, 2011 at 4:59 am #

Great mix! I LOVE Gary Taubes – thank you for sharing the Sugar article. Sugar scares me, fo sho. I think that the debate: fat vs sugar (in terms of disease), is fascinating. I feel that in the end it comes down to the obvi – avoid animal fats and avoid processed foods, which include “sugar” and HFCS. The end.

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 18, 2011 at 5:07 pm #

I think eating so much sugar is a huge reason for our health epidemic. So, so, so sad. Especially considering our childhood diabetes and obesity rates, and how sugar is marketed to them early on :(

4. Heather Eats Socca Pizza (HESP?) April 18, 2011 at 5:42 am #

Thanks for all the wonderful links. I have 5 open in my browser right now. Lots of reading to do today. Congrats to your husband…I think you should treat him to a chocolate mint smoothie. :)

Thanks for including me in your mixed tape. I’m honored, and I loved Reading Rainbow back in the day!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 18, 2011 at 5:29 pm #

Yay! Hope (at least) one of them was a good read for you. Can’t wait to make the husband the smoothie tonight or tomorrow — I know he will be on board with green smoothies once he takes a sip ;)

5. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate April 18, 2011 at 6:03 am #

Thanks for the good reads!

6. Liz @ IHeartVegetables April 18, 2011 at 7:10 am #

hahahaha I literally laughed out loud at my desk about the reading rainbow reference

7. Holly @ The Runny Egg April 18, 2011 at 7:26 am #

I definitely want to read that early puberty article — that sounds so interesting (and scary!)

Oh and I made your PB Banana Bombs yesterday — I’m posting about them tomorrow. They tasted so good! (I’m saying tasted since obviously they are all eaten by now)

8. Erin @ Big Girl Feats April 18, 2011 at 7:34 am #

Even more to add to the list of BFF – I am with you on the early puberty thing. Woot! (and the opposite of woot, that article, woah!). I hope you’re having a better start to the week this week, my love! xo

9. Hannah (Balancing on Two Feet) April 18, 2011 at 7:42 am #

Great round up…I love these posts. I think I found your site from being featured on one! I can’t wait to read the NY Times article!

10. Lindsey April 18, 2011 at 7:50 am #

I REALLY love your positive spin on everything you write. You send awesome positive energy vibes via the world wide web. Seriously! Rainbows. Through the web. A Big Scare Turns Into A Win is such a lovely example. Thanks for sharing all of these! I’m going to make some minestrone soup and dough balls this evening and send you positive healing food vibes. Ta ta!

11. Natalia - a side of simple April 18, 2011 at 8:26 am #

Oh my goodness, I am completely in love with the Calvin and Hobbes comic you posted :) Maybe it’s because I just defended my thesis Saturday morning? Hmmm… haha

12. Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 18, 2011 at 8:33 am #

looks like a great list, can’t wait to read them!

Big Congrats to your husband on defending – that’s wonderful and quite an accomplishment! :)

13. Kelly April 18, 2011 at 8:33 am #

I read the sugar article and I totally think that sugar is the reason obesity has skyrocketed. I mean look at our diet…low fat this and low fat that. If you are taking the fat out you have to be replacing it something and more often than not it is being replaced with chemical and carbohydrates (essentially sugar) and yet we are not getting any slimmer despite our “so-called” healthy low-fat diets.

14. Mariah @Apples "N" Oats April 18, 2011 at 8:38 am #

i just found your blog via twitter and so excited I did!read all of the good reads… except the preganacy one…not planning on needing that anytime soon ahah!I know it’s definitely time consuming to do all of this so thanks so much for a great post!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 18, 2011 at 5:47 pm #

Mariah, I’m so glad you found me! :) I love when I do these posts and people actually go read the articles and posts, so thank you so much for letting me know! <3

15. Heidi @ Food Doodles April 18, 2011 at 9:04 am #

Great reads! I have a bunch of tabs open to go read right now :D Thank you!

16. Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa April 18, 2011 at 10:02 am #

I would love to hear Michael Pollan speak! I’ve read “In Defense of Food” and plan on picking up his others soon!

I need to get through the entire article on sugar – I’ve heard a lot of feedback from it. I can say without reading it though, that I am so thankful my husband and I have cut it out of our diets quite a while ago.

Nice round up…will need to get through these this week!

17. Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 18, 2011 at 10:47 am #

LOVE that sugar article, read it last week from SmartBrief for nutritionists.

18. DC Runographer April 18, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

The whole of life can be found in Calvin and Hobbes. Non-fiction.

19. Abby April 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm #

Reading Rainbow + Calvin and Hobbes in one post? lol holy flashback! :P I read the article about early puberty. I think this is such a concerning topic!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 18, 2011 at 6:06 pm #

Haha ;) I aim to resurrect old childhood memories.

Yes, I agree — it’s amazing to me that people are just now starting to talk about it! Augh!!!

20. Katherine: Unemployed April 18, 2011 at 3:05 pm #

I love this ‘mix tape’ idea! so great. thanks for the highlights

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 18, 2011 at 6:07 pm #

So glad you like it! :) Oh, and I absolutely love how you spell your name (same as my full name)…I am all about the “erine” (<–something that Katherine's everywhere know about: "Are you an r-y-n, or e-r-i-n-e?" LOL!

• Katherine: Unemployed April 19, 2011 at 3:47 am #

TRUE! as nice as it is for people at starbucks etc to put your name on your drink, I don’t think I’ve EVER had it spelled right ((they usually start in with a ‘C’–what!?))

21. Teri Walker @ Love From the Farm April 18, 2011 at 5:08 pm #

Read most of the NY Times sugar article – am going to finish reading tonight. Early puberty strikes close to home as I was saddened to buy my daughter’s 1st bra at age 9 (she could’ve used it at 8 but I COULDN’T!). Ugh! So glad to be able to trace the origins of most of our food these days…. Thanks for the round up!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 18, 2011 at 6:09 pm #

Oh gosh, yes. I hear you. Heart goes out to your daughter; it is a hard journey to be a girl in a woman’s body! :(

22. Chris April 18, 2011 at 6:03 pm #

Made your deeelicous Mango Lassi on Thursday, the Minestrone Soup on Friday (Yum) and the stuffed peppers will be made tonight. Saw the video of Dr. Lustig’s lecture on sugar–excellent, must-see. And Please do not get off your soap box, Katie, especially when it comes to what food is doing to our children. <3

23. Stephanie April 18, 2011 at 7:47 pm #

I was fascinated by the articles on early onset puberty. We were actually just talking about this at school today…the young girls in grade 7 and 8 are fully developed women. Kids are starting to get their periods in fourth or fifth grade. It’s shocking and a little bit concerning…

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 18, 2011 at 8:04 pm #

I know, I have seen girls in 1st grade noticeably developing… I mean that in the plural — more than one girl. A good percentage of them. And honestly, I was the only one in my school fitting that description when I was a child — now it is the norm :(

24. kate@ahealthypassion April 18, 2011 at 9:06 pm #

great articles I bookmarked them for when I have time to read this week!!

25. Michelle {the lively kitchen} April 18, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

I’m still waiting for my breasts to come in – maybe i should up my dairy? :) Actually, I’m thinking my 3 years as a milk producer for my munchkins have something to do with my non-existant bosom. Oh well – my kids will thank me some day.

You and I have such similar taste. I’ve already made the Mmm sauce (and used some as a coating for kale chips), had just bookmarked the HEAB smoothie, read the sugar article yesterday and just clicked over to your blog from Daily Garnish. Great minds think/read/click alike.

26. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 19, 2011 at 4:05 am #

Katie what a great roundup of posts! both the thinking kind and the foodie kind. Love them all…some are new to me, some I saw last week, too. I love your selections!

1. Think This, Not That #3 (Guest Post!) | Nourishing Flourishing - April 21, 2011

[...] are food. Specifically, sugar and sweets. (Katie just posted an article about sugar in her Mix Tape [Post] of Awesomeness that is so interesting!) Ironic, because these things are foods that I gravitate towards to make [...]

2. Sugar-Free Lessons | unmitigated grub - April 27, 2011

[...] may be interested in this New York Times article, “Is Sugar Toxic?” which I read per Katie’s suggestion. Fascinating piece–and all the more reason to not overdo [...]

3. Mix Tape [Post] of Awesome | Nourishing Flourishing - May 1, 2011

[...] can check in on the last Mix Tape Post by clicking here. With all the traveling schtuff last week, I kind of had to skip it for a week or two. But [...]