Double Dark Chocolate Doughballs

I know…it’s a sickness. I get fixated on things. Beans. Hummus. Doughballs. But in my defense — I think such obsessions really make one exercise some creativity; at first you only think there are so many ways to make hummus. And then you realize that beans and chocolate and peanut butter really do just *work*. And while my doughball flavors might not be the most unique (I haven’t really researched this, but feel it’s a fair assumption in the case of chocolate chip and peanut butter), the fact that they are vegan and gluten-free is. So. Here is one more (I’m not going to say, “one last,” because obviously that would be a lie) doughball variety to add to the growing collection. The best part? I have thrown these together twice in the past two days, and both times it took me about 15 minutes total. As in, mixing, shaping, baking. And at both gatherings, they were a hit!

Do you need further convincing? Let me break it down: chocolate + chocolate + fun shape + super fast + protein = … YES — that’s what it equals! Now go make these and enjoy your Saturday : )

Ingredients
2 C almond flour (you can easily make your own — yay!)
1/4 C cocoa powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt (feel free to use less)
1/3 C agave (or honey)
1/4 C coconut oil
1 1/2 Tb vanilla
1/2 t almond extract
1/4 C (if desired, vegan) dark chocolate (I used chips, but a bar works just as well), finely chopped, or grated

Recipe
1) Mix dry ingredients.
2) Mix wet ingredients.
3) Add wet to dry and stir with fork until thoroughly combined.
4) Shape dough into 12-14 small balls. (You may need to wet your hands, but for the most part I didn’t.)
[Avoid making joke about step 4]
5) Place onto parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350* for about 10-15 minutes. Let cool.

More persuasion…

I don’t even actually like chocolate much (and never, ever, ever, evvver milk chocolate — sorry folks), but these. These I love. (And even my picky-eating dad hearted them. That is a feat, if I’ve ever seen one!) Speaking of parentals, mine kindly came to celebrate a big, special day with us (before you ask, no, I’m not pregnant), so I am off to soak up all the joy and love and laughter I can before they have to head home.

And maybe even more doughballs.

I hope you are having an equally wonderful, thankful weekend! Cheers friends!

P.S. I showed my out-of-the-technological-and-pop-culture-loop mom and dad one of my favorite youtube videos… We had such fun laughing with them. If you haven’t watched it, and need a smile (or snort), go to the end of this post. : )

What are you doing this weekend?

Think This, Not That #4: When You Lose It
Savory Summer Squash Pancakes (aka Garden Overload Latkes)
Vegan Mango Coconut Milk Ice Cream: Simple Bliss

51 Responses to “Double Dark Chocolate Doughballs”

1. Sarah April 30, 2011 at 4:03 am #

Oooh! I am not a big chocolate fan, but I am tempted to make these. I just accidentally ordered far too much carob and carob buttons. Maybe a double carob version??

2. Holly @ The Runny Egg April 30, 2011 at 5:12 am #

Katie these look delicious!

This weekend — running 18 miles and going to the big Minneapolis Farmers Market. If I get those 2 things done I’m a happy girl!

3. Laura @ LauraLikesDesign April 30, 2011 at 5:17 am #

Wow, those cookies sound amazing!

This weekend I am getting caught up on a million things today, and then tomorrow hanging out with the fiance. :D I’m hoping to relax today and then get a really good run in tomorrow since it sounds like the weather is going to be great.

4. Jess (Sweet Potato) April 30, 2011 at 6:06 am #

Those look amazing! I can taste the melty chocolate through the picture!

5. Matt April 30, 2011 at 7:04 am #

Mmmm those look so good.

6. Megan April 30, 2011 at 7:40 am #

Look at all the gooey chocolate! I’m craving some of these! :)

7. Freya April 30, 2011 at 7:51 am #

Well they do look mighty delicious indeed!
    I’m curious – aside from being GF, does almond flour have any other benefits in baking / is it one of those things where you have to add or take away extra liquid or something to use it? I’d have to sub it out if I made these :/
    Have a lovely day!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 30, 2011 at 11:15 am #

Hm… other benefits. Well, it’s higher in protein and fiber, lower in glycemic index (messes with your blood sugar less), and tastes awesome. It doesn’t usually sub 1:1 with wheat flour, but I think it would definitely be worth some test trials! Are there any GF flours you could use instead? If so, let me know and I’ll experiment and report back :)

8. Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa April 30, 2011 at 8:09 am #

Okay, let’s make a deal. I am heading out for a 20 mile run at 10AM. It will take me approximately 3.5 hours. Think you can make up a batch of these for me and have them in Iowa before I get home?!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 30, 2011 at 11:12 am #

Hmm… How about we compromise: you move over to CO, and I’ll bake you doughballs 24/7! :D That sounds win-win to me! :)

9. Chad April 30, 2011 at 9:17 am #

your chocolate doughballs have made my poppy seed muffins seem kind of irrelevant. Ah how your blog always challenges me to make new things.

10. Alaina Rose @ Sweetness Of Life April 30, 2011 at 9:19 am #

Oh wow, those look so good. I think I might have to make those today. I LOVE that they are vegan and gluten-free. That’s my favorite way to bake!

11. Kelsey April 30, 2011 at 10:00 am #

mmmmm! you can NEVER have too many dough balls! :)

12. Errign April 30, 2011 at 2:32 pm #

Right now, my Saturday has consisted of doing practically nothing, but it’s sort of enjoyable. Tomorrow is going to include some sort of sweat sesh and tackling my last few to-dos!

13. Nicole April 30, 2011 at 4:16 pm #

Any recipe that begins with the words “Double Dark Chocolate” and contains almond flour gets placed on my “to try” list immediately. Great job!

14. Pure2raw twins May 1, 2011 at 7:48 pm #

a little piece of heaven right here…love this recipe! We enjoyed a wonderful weekend with our parents too :)

15. Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 2, 2011 at 8:27 am #

Katie these sound awesome!!

16. Philis May 2, 2011 at 6:10 pm #

Just made…delish! Thank you Katie!

17. Vivian August 22, 2011 at 6:52 pm #

JUST made these and ohhhh my goshhh they are DELICIOUS!!
    Mine didn’t stay in ball form after baking though…are they supposed to? And they also came out crunchy so were more like cookies…are they supposed to be soft? Ahh nevertheless these were amazing :)

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing August 23, 2011 at 9:15 am #

YAY! I am so happy that you like them :) They usually have a crispy outside and soft inside. I’m not sure why they didn’t stay in ball form… Did they go flat as a pancake? If that’s the case, I would either refrigerate the dough first (it might affect things that it’s summer and hot), or add a little extra cocoa powder to bind things a little tighter. Maybe just a tablespoon or two. Still, I think your best bet is to fridge or freeze it first! :) Hope they turn out better (i.e. in true doughball shape) next time, but so glad you enjoyed them! :D

18. Linda August 27, 2011 at 7:20 am #

I’m making these today!! Yummy….. :)

19. Suzanne October 9, 2011 at 6:33 pm #

These are amazing. The first time I followed the recipe and they were incredible, but since then I’ve tweaked them to my taste – doubled the cocoa powder, use 1/4 cup coconut sugar as the sweetener, and added some coconut milk for liquid. Delicious!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing October 16, 2011 at 8:18 pm #

Thanks for your comment Suzanne! I always appreciate hearing feedback on how the recipe went. Your variation sounds wonderful! I have yet to try baking with coconut sugar, but I am excited to try it out. Maybe I’ll give your adaptations a go as the test run! :) xo.

20. Mar October 14, 2012 at 12:05 am #

These sound too good to wait till I can get my hands on some almond flour. What proportion of whole wheat flour or all purpose flour could be used instead? Gotta use what I have in the house until I can buy the almond flour. Thanks!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing October 14, 2012 at 8:52 am #

Hi Mar! I’m afraid that almond flour is extremely unique, and substituting wheat flour (or any other flour, for that matter) just doesn’t work. :( I hope you can find some almond flour soon — let me know if I can help track it down for you!

xo.

• Mar October 17, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

Thanks Katie. I live in Orlando but the challenge seems to find almond flour at a reasonable price. And also to find small quantities for testing and trying it out first.

Which brings me to my next question, how to substitute almond flour in recipes that call for other flours? How did you make the switch? I think you said it’s not a 1:1 ratio, right?

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing October 20, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

Hi Mar! Do you have a Whole Foods nearby? It’s true that to buy it at a store is much pricier, hence why I purchase mine in bulk from Honeyville. But sometimes Whole Foods has a bulk bin of blanched almond flour, in which case you could buy just enough for a recipe so that you can try it out. Otherwise, you’ll probably be stuck buying a $10/lb Bob’s Red Mill brand bag from grocery stores. Not ideal, but I guess at least then you could try it.

I honestly don’t think there’s a ratio or method that works across the board (or at all) for substituting almond flour for wheat (or any grain) flours, unfortunately. I made the switch cold turkey (out of necessity — my health was quite poor when I found out that I needed to start eating gluten-free immediately). I first relied upon the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle and its recipes, and then used Elana Amsterdam’s blog (elanaspantry.com) to get my footing in totally new baking territory. She even has two almond flour cookbooks out now that are really wonderful for someone beginning to experiment. Sorry I can’t be of more help!

21. Mar October 21, 2012 at 9:26 am #

That is very helpful info, Katie, thank you.

I recently made for my daughter (27 year old athlete) a giant chocolate chip cookie using white beans instead of flour so it’s totally GF, and she liked it so much she’s asked me to make it again.

22. Mar October 27, 2012 at 1:03 am #

Hi Katie,

I think that I read somewhere in your blog that by using almond flour, you don’t need to add gums or other stuff when you bake? That almond flour behaves just like regular flour? Or do you need to add stuff to it? Thanks!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing November 5, 2012 at 1:47 pm #

Hi Mar,

No, you don’t need gums or anything with almond flour. It does not, however, behave like regular wheat flour — it is much more moist, and will require a unique recipe to account for that, so be sure to only use recipes that are designed with almond flour, rather than substituting it for wheat flour. Here is an introduction to almond flour: http://nourishingflourishing.com/2011/10/the-lowdown-on-almond-flour/ I think it may help answer some your questions.

Katie

23. Mar November 5, 2012 at 2:06 pm #

Thanks for all your help, Katie.

I bought Elana’s book and a bag of Bob’s Red Mill almond flour – which I know it’s not ideal for these recipes.

So far I’ve made the sandwich bread from Elana’s book, it was good and dense but a bit salty for me.

And I made your chocolate doughballs. I might have overbaked them because they were a tad dry but the flavor was good. Different but good.

I do want to try more recipes with a different brand of almond flour to see if I get better results. Other that the price, I’m really looking forward to learning more about using almond flour in my baking. Thank you for your help, it’s so nice to be able to ask questions of someone who knows her stuff! :-)

1. Mix Tape [Post] of Awesome | Nourishing Flourishing - May 1, 2011

[...] Double Dark Chocolate Doughballs – Need I say more? Ok. I will: gluten-free, vegan, 15 minutes. Snap. [...]

2. Mix Tape [Post] of Awesome #5 | Nourishing Flourishing - May 24, 2011

[...] of your life, let me know. I know a guy. (Oh, and Father-of-The-Guy, Wendell, I hope you liked your doughballs! [...]

3. Gluten-Free + Veg 4th of July Ideas | Nourishing Flourishing - July 5, 2011

[...] Double Dark Chocolate Doughballs [...]

4. Think This, Not That: For Real | Nourishing Flourishing - August 20, 2011

[...] 1 Batch Double Dark Chocolate [...]

5. Penny [or Prize] for Your Thoughts? | Nourishing Flourishing - August 27, 2011

[...] or if you want to see more of a particular kind of recipe, demand it! Or just tell me to make more doughball and dessert hummus and scone flavors, STAT. I am usually pretty good at obliging requests : ) [...]

6. Adopt a gluten-free Blogger Recipe Roundup September | Book of Yum - October 16, 2011

[...] Doughballs, and Dark Chocolate Chip Doughballs. Recipes: Dark Chocolate Chip Almond Biscotti Double Dark Chocolate Doughballs Dark Chocolate Chip [...]