Dark Chocolate Chip Almond Biscotti

See? I promised no more beans for a few days! And hopefully, since it’s the weekend (woo!) you will have time to get your bake on. Does anyone else find baking a huge stress reliever? At the very least, eating this will be verrry relaxing… When I had to cut gluten out, this was one of those things I got a hankerin’ for now and again. Not crazy often — just when I’d step into a coffee shop, see the cases of biscotti, and start drooling into my cup (unfortunate, as I don’t leave room for cream…poor burned hands). Also, you all know how I love me some CRUNCH.

This was bound to happen.

Nutritional highlights are: high-protein, high-fiber, high deliciousness. In fact, each serving contains over 1000% of your daily deliciousness needs! Who needs a multivitamin now?!

2 1/2 C blanched almond flour (you can easily make your own — yay!)
2 Tb arrowroot powder (you can probably sub a little coconut flour or extra almond flour if you don’t have it)
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/3 C agave or honey
1 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 Tb vanilla
1/4 C chopped almonds
1/2 C dark chocolate chips

1) Mix all dry ingredients except chopped almond and chocolate chips.
2) Add wet ingredients and stir to combine (it may seem too dry — just trust and keep stirring).
3) Add almonds and chocolate chips.
3) Wet hands, and separate dough into two oval-shaped balls.
4) Place on parchment paper, and using wet hands, shape into two logs, or a rounded rectangle. I made mine 1/2 an inch thick, but feel free to do whatever — you might just have a slight difference in baking time. (A longer shape is better than a wider shape, as the middle will take longer to bake.)
5) Bake at 350* until edges are lightly browned (10-15 minutes for me). Remove and let cool for 45-60 minutes.
6) Slice on the diagonal.Bake again at 300* for 10 minutes. Watch closely.
7) Remove and allow to cool.

I should say, we tested this recipe (and by “tested,” I mean “baked and inhaled,” obviously) a few times, and each round the less cooked batch won! This doesn’t mean it won’t be crunchy — just leave them out overnight partially/lightly covered so that they lose the excess moisture. Crunch City. Or, you can just cook them longer and dismiss our personal test kitchen. It was based more on flavor than texture (despite my addiction). This is one of those fun recipes you can just cater to your preference : ) It’s pretty hard to mess it up!

Each batch of almond-y, chocolate-y biscotti literally disappeared in less than 24 hours… And it’s just me and the BFF Manfriend. So… Get on it.

What is an unusual stress reliever for you? Aside from baking, one of mine is cleaning.

I know, I know… Sorry — I’m already married < 3

This post is part of Slightly Indulgent Tuesday at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free.

Dessert Hummus: Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Cookie Dough. YES.
Eating Healthy 104: Meal Ideas
Vegan Lentil Loaf (aka Meatless Meatloaf)

35 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Chip Almond Biscotti”

1. Matt @ The Athlete's Plate April 2, 2011 at 6:04 am #

You like to clean? If you come and clean my apartment, I’ll make you lunch ;)

By the way, those look stellar.

2. Alayna @ Thyme Bombe April 2, 2011 at 6:51 am #

Mmmm! Great idea, those look so good! I love almond flavored things.

3. Jackie @ Baking Charms April 2, 2011 at 7:35 am #

Yum! Your biscotti looks delicious! I’m totally with you on cleaning/baking as good stress relievers. Running works too :)

4. Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa April 2, 2011 at 8:56 am #

These look amazing! I think I need to play around with nut/chickpea flours more often. I have never used them.

Baking = a huge stress relief for me AS LONG AS my husband is close behind cleaning up my mess!!!

5. Freya April 2, 2011 at 9:30 am #

That looks SO good!! Now if only I had some almond flour…I haven’t even seen it in the stores over here :(

I find walking a great stress reliever (though it’s hardly unusual) and baking (of course) and hugging my horse – nothing like horse stink to make you smile :p

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 2, 2011 at 9:36 am #

Hi Freya! You reminded me that I left out something very important in the post; a link for a DIY tutorial to make your own almond flour! All you need are almonds. The link is in the ingredients list :) Perhaps that’s an option? I love that your horse relaxes you — animals are so good at providing comfort. And yes — walking can’t be underestimated ;)

• Freya April 2, 2011 at 12:57 pm #

Aah super – I’ll go look now :D Whole almonds I have by the bucketload :)

6. Allie April 2, 2011 at 9:50 am #

I love cleaning too!! I do it 24/7 just cause it’s fun :) Your biscotti looks divine!

7. myveganstory April 2, 2011 at 9:57 am #

I’ve never tried biscotti before. But this is screaming “make me make me!”

8. The Teenage Taste April 2, 2011 at 10:41 am #

You clean when you are stressed?! Good for you! When I’m stressed I’m much less productive – I either bake or sit on my butt and watch TV. ;-)
    Those biscotti look delicious, by the way!

9. Pure2raw twins April 2, 2011 at 11:15 am #

YUM YUM love biscotti!!!

Favorite way to relieve some stress away from being in the kitchen, lately it has been turning on some great music :)

10. lauren @ spiced plate April 2, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

yum! I made biscotti yesterday, too — gluten free and vegan. No chocolate chips, though. I love how yours look!

I love cleaning, too, but when I want to. If I feel like I’m forced to clean or am in a rush, it stresses me out. But when I get in a “cleaning mood” it makes me feel so relaxed and refreshed!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 2, 2011 at 12:17 pm #

Nice! Thank you :) You’re right — if I’m rushed or forced, the stress-relief usually doesn’t come until after the fact. Ha! Clean home = Happy Relaxed Katie ;)

11. Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 2, 2011 at 4:22 pm #

I think baking and cleaning are great stress relievers too! Whenever I struggle with anxiety, I think cleaning really helps. Maybe we’re weird, but at least our houses are clean, right? :)

12. Holly @ The Runny Egg April 2, 2011 at 9:01 pm #

I love biscotti — it is 10pm but I would love a biscotti and a cup of coffee right now :) Sounds delicious.

Stress reliever – exercise, cleaning, reading, grocery shopping!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 3, 2011 at 11:02 am #

For sure; 10pm rolls around and my Treat bone starts tingling. ;) And coffee is a vital component of any sweet for me. If I can’t have a cup of french press with it, why bother eating it? Haha.

100% agree with your stress busters. I don’t know why grocery shopping can be relaxing, but often it is for me too! So weird. We must love productivity or something…

13. Katie (quick cook rice) April 3, 2011 at 8:23 am #

Baking is like meditation for me. Drooling over this recipe.

14. Gigi April 5, 2011 at 6:50 pm #

Happily, you’re the 1 of 2 I selected while looking over Amy’s SSGF Tues. links. Time is so short that I have to limit myself, unfortunately, to only a couple of links per event, but I’m so happy I found your site! The biscotti caught my eye – I love it and I have made it a time or two with success, but always like to try other (perhaps better?) recipes. I have a nut allergy, but plan to try this with my own flour blend over the weekend.
    Love your “about” page, too. I relate. :)
    Cheers!
    Gigi

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 6, 2011 at 1:58 pm #

Hi Gigi! Thanks so much for your comment — I’m glad I was in the lucky mix of 2. :) Fingers crossed that you can tweak the biscotti to work for you; I can’t imagine being allergic to nuts! Nooo! ; ) Hope to keep seeing you around here.

1. Raw Zucchini Pasta Salad + Zesty Italian Dressing | Nourishing Flourishing - April 4, 2011

[...] my bean obsession with a salad fetish, right? Perhaps I’m trying to balance out some of the treats on here ;  ) Don’t worry, tomorrow will be something [...]

2. Biscotti & Birthdays (life is good) | myveganstory - April 5, 2011

[...] also baked. I’ve never tried biscotti before and this recipe looked really good so I gave it a go. It did not disappoint! SO freaking [...]

3. Vegan Gluten-Free Dough Balls: Cinnamon Raisin (Coconut) + Chocolate Chip | Nourishing Flourishing - April 14, 2011

[...] of transparency, I should state that I ended up liking the version with the same ingredients as my Dark Chocolate Chip Almond Biscotti best! Different method though, so it stills counts. ; ) If you want them to stay doughy soft [...]

4. Recipe Recycle: Dark Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars (Or Pizookie) | Nourishing Flourishing - May 29, 2011

[...] You know, whatever. You’ll notice that this is, admittedly, nearly the same recipe as my Dark Chocolate Chip Biscotti. But, the great news is, it’s also just as delicious! This new method actually saves a few [...]

5. Gluten-Free + Veg 4th of July Ideas | Nourishing Flourishing - July 1, 2011

[...] Dark Chocolate Chip Almond Biscotti [...]

6. Adopt a Gluten-free Blogger September Roundup 2011 | Book of Yum - October 16, 2011

[...] Almond Biscotti, Double Dark Chocolate Doughballs, and Dark Chocolate Chip Doughballs. Recipes: Dark Chocolate Chip Almond Biscotti Double Dark Chocolate Doughballs Dark Chocolate Chip [...]