Cinnamon (Un) Sugar Dessert Hummus — With Sweet Potato Power!

Not going to lie… I meant to attempt this when I first made my other 3 dessert hummus recipes, but ultimately ran out of time and ingredients. So today, I actually followed through on my conception: something reminiscent of the cinnamon sugar toast I loved in my youth, but packed with nutrition. Dippable, dunkable, spreadable. Snack or dessert. Yum Town. It was definitely worth the wait! When I had the BFF Manfriend taste test it, he said it was like cinnamon frosting. Um…how can that be bad?! We loved it. This is perfect for topping oats (not only a boost of protein, but remember: it tastes like frosting, friends. Frosting.), toast, graham crackers, tortillas, apples, bananas, and pretty much anything that can otherwise be used as a vehicle to your mouth.

Like last time, I want to thank Evan at The Wannabe Chef for the inspiration! After I stumbled upon his dessert hummus, I knew I was in for it. As you can see from that last 3-recipe-post extravaganza — Evan…you’ve ruined me. It’s all hummus, all the time over here now. (Note: I just now saw he has since posted a snickerdoodle hummus, too!)

Ingredients
1 C cooked and well-rinsed white beans (if chickpeas, peel for smoother texture)
2 Tb cashew butter (or any natural nut butter, though flavor may vary)
1/2 C sweet potato puree (or pumpkin puree)
2 t vanilla
3 Tb agave, 100% maple syrup, or honey (I used a natural maple-flavored agave)
2 Tb cinnamon
sprinkle of salt

Recipe
1) Place all but cinnamon into food processor (or blender) and whir it up until everything is smooth.
2) Add cinnamon (start with just 1 Tb at first if you are cinnamon-shy, adding more as you like) and continue to process.
3) Spoon into a bowl and serve. (Feel free to be real classy like me and drizzle just a little agave on top, and dash cinnamon for garnish. The simple things… The simple things.)

More flavors coming soon…obviously. ; ) And do I need to tell you how healthy this is? Hellooo Protein!  Oh, and hey Fiber — didn’t see you there in all that deliciousness. Yo! Antioxidants! Didn’t know you were coming to the party — so glad you could make it! Cinnamon, you old anti-inflammatory, how you doin’ these days? (….Annnd SCENE.)

But seriously. This is awesome. If you’re wondering about the sweet potato puree, you can either nuke a sweet potato in the microwave (I don’t have one), bake it in the oven, or boil it on the stove. I boiled mine and processed it before adding other ingredients — it ended up being 1 small tater. Easy peasy!

(Part of Slightly Indulgent Tuesday)

What are you doing to celebrate TGIF
(other than wishing ABC would bring the real TGIF back)?

The Lessons of Travel
Double Dark Chocolate Doughballs
Put The Lime In The Coconut: Vegan Lime Coconut Milk Ice Cream

59 Responses to “Cinnamon (Un) Sugar Dessert Hummus — With Sweet Potato Power!”

1. Freya April 29, 2011 at 1:51 am #

:O *gasp*! THAT is the recipe I have been waiting for my whole life – *more gasps*. I’m watching the royal wedding right now, but I actually want to quit it so I can go and make this…ohemgee.
    You’re a genius!

2. Mercedes @ Cultivating-Consciousness April 29, 2011 at 4:52 am #

What am I doing for TGIF? I think that was just decided… eating cinnamon un-sugar humus. THIS LOOKS AMAZING!

3. Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 29, 2011 at 6:35 am #

You’re a hummus genius.

The best part of TGIF was the song at the beginning ;)

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 30, 2011 at 11:29 am #

And the little TGIF commercial things in-between… When they had “hosts.” I vividly remember Hanson and the Backstreet Boys “hosting” at various points *swoon* ;) Hehe.

4. Abby April 29, 2011 at 7:06 am #

TGIF…I loved TGIF! My mom and I used to have a date every Friday for it when I was in elementary school. Well…I have been up since 4 AM watching the Royal Wedding festivities so I see a nap in my future. lol. I also need to study for finals and rest for my first half marathon on Sunday! :)

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 30, 2011 at 11:28 am #

That’s so cute! TGIF =ed quality family time for my husband’s fam too. Good luck on your finals and half marathon!!! Woo! :D

5. lauren @ spiced plate April 29, 2011 at 7:18 am #

my-oh-my…this looks amazing!

6. Matt April 29, 2011 at 7:29 am #

Cashew butter = love.

7. Holly @ The Runny Egg April 29, 2011 at 7:36 am #

I really do wish they’d bring back TGIF! Honestly I just want work to be over with so I can go home. I am feeling unusually tired today (and no I didn’t get up at the crack of dawn to watch that wedding!)

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 30, 2011 at 11:27 am #

Let’s start a petition! Don’t add new shows, just replay all the old ones :) They will have a bigger audience than ever!

8. Erin @ Big Girl Feats April 29, 2011 at 7:53 am #

I spent approx. 30 minutes looking up TGIF on Wikipedia. It’s actually really interesting in terms of the marketing and branding behind it. Nerd!

That looks delicious! Not nerdy. Happy weekend homie!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 30, 2011 at 11:27 am #

Hahaha. You would! ;)

…and so would I. I did the same thing when I first wrote that post. Bahaha. Great minds… <3

9. Jen @ keepitsimplefoods April 29, 2011 at 8:45 am #

Yum! This looks creamy dreamy and absolutely divine!

10. Kelsey April 29, 2011 at 8:56 am #

mmmm this looks delicious! I LOVE cinnamon. Lots of it! :)

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 30, 2011 at 11:23 am #

Me too! As I was stocking up on cinnamon at the store, this lady was just staring at me in awe. Finally she said, “You making cinnamon toast or what?” I was like, “Um…I just really love cinnamon…” She said, “Yes, I can see that.” Bahaha ;)

11. Heidi @ Food Doodles April 29, 2011 at 9:12 am #

Yum! That looks awesome! I tried a version with peanut butter and it was so good. I gotta try this!

12. Chad April 29, 2011 at 9:41 am #

I am celebrating Friday by being awesome. Also I’m gonna make epic muffins and yes, a dessert hummus. This is not the first time we’ve cooked similar things.

13. Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 29, 2011 at 10:26 am #

I’d pick the chickpeas over the white beans– it’s not hummus without chickpeas. It’s just bean dip.

14. This looks so delicious! I can’t wait to try it on everything. I bet it would be good with some homemade cinnamon tortilla chips!

15. heather @ girlyeverafter April 29, 2011 at 12:34 pm #

YUM, that sounds really good! I love anything and everything cinnamon. I HAVE to make dessert hummus, I see it too often to not try it.

16. Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food April 29, 2011 at 1:05 pm #

Um….I’m pretty sure this looks like the most amazing thing ever!!!

17. Teri Walker @ Love From The Farm April 29, 2011 at 2:31 pm #

OK, this looks wonderful! My 10-yr-old and I are finally starting our gluten-, sugar-, yeast-, dairy-free life today – now that we have all the crucial ingredients stockpiled. I’ll swap out the agave nectar for xylitol until we’re past the need to avoid feeding yeast, and hope it’s still sublime. I haven’t even posted about our life change on my blog yet because we need to get our sea legs, but I know it will be fantastic with all this great inspiration out here! Here we go!!

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 30, 2011 at 11:19 am #

Wow! I can’t wait to hear how it goes. You might also be able to sub stevia. If you need more recipes (since mine might not be fully sugar-free), the Twins at Pure2Raw have awesome recipes and ideas, and they are on a candida cleanse :) Keep me posted on your progress! <3

18. Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free April 29, 2011 at 3:28 pm #

I LOVE sweet potatoes and cinnamon-it tastes SO good in dessert hummus :) I haven’t tried it cashew butter or white beans, though. I made mine with almond butter and chickpeas…..SO GOOD!

19. Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa April 30, 2011 at 8:06 am #

I made Evan’s recipe a while ago and OMG it tastes just like cinnamon toast crunch! I was just thinking I need to come up with my own version of dessert hummus with the soaked chickpeas I have in my fridge. I am thinking something along the lines of honey walnut…but yours looks delicious as well.

Boy Meets World – hello Friday Night! :)

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 30, 2011 at 11:13 am #

Oooh, yes. Make sure to keep me posted on your experiment! That sounds so good. And you know, I seriously consider starting a petition to ABC every single Friday…

20. Meg @ pinkgiggles May 1, 2011 at 2:22 pm #

This recipe looks amazing
    I can’t wait to try it :)

21. Christine May 3, 2011 at 4:10 pm #

I love how you made a sweet hummus! I definitely want to try this now… :)

22. Alyssa May 3, 2011 at 8:21 pm #

Wow this looks amazing! I can’t wait to make this!!

23. Alisa May 21, 2011 at 8:50 pm #

I was taking a quick look at your blog when I saw this pic and had to stop.I was just about to make some sweet potato fries!This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

24. Carol June 17, 2011 at 11:42 am #

YUMMY! Just made it to have with dinner tonight! So delish:)

25. Amy July 18, 2011 at 6:39 pm #

YUM! i love dessert hummus…its so good!

26. Vivian August 22, 2011 at 7:04 pm #

have you tried using just cashews instead of the cashew butter? I’m wondering how that would turn out since I don’t have any cashew butter on hand :(

• Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing August 23, 2011 at 9:13 am #

Hi Vivian! I wouldn’t use straight-up cashews; they will make it chunky! But you could process them into butter beforehand. Or, if you have some other nut butter, I would try that! :) Peanut butter might make it a little different flavor-wise, but almond or something would be great. Hope this goes well for you! xo.

1. Double Dark Chocolate Doughballs | Nourishing Flourishing - April 30, 2011

[...] know…it’s a sickness. I get fixated on things. Beans. Hummus. Doughballs. But in my defense — I think such obsessions really make one exercise some [...]

2. Mix Tape [Post] of Awesome | Nourishing Flourishing - May 1, 2011

[...] Cinnamon (Un) Sugar Dessert Hummus –  I tried this on my toast this morning and almost fainted. And then I tried it on apple slices and I did faint. (Again, with the dramatics…) [...]

3. Gluten-Free + Veg 4th of July Ideas | Nourishing Flourishing - July 1, 2011

[...] Cinnamon (Un) Sugar Dessert Hummus (serve all these dips with apple slices, mild crackers, etc.) [...]

4. Saturday’s Eats « Abz 'n' Oats - July 16, 2011

[...] making something. I ended up deciding on a sweet take on hummus from Katie’s blog. I used her Cinnamon (Un)Sugar Dessert Hummus recipe with a few substitutions. First off, instead of sweet potato, I used canned pumpkin puree. [...]

5. Dessert Hummus: Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Cookie Dough. YES. | Nourishing Flourishing - July 26, 2011

[...] *Edited to Add: My most recent addition to the dessert hummus family of recipes has been a total hit — Cinnamon (Un) Sugar Dessert Hummus with Sweet Potato Power!* [...]

6. Idag har jag… | Punkelikat! - August 18, 2011

[...] Saltå Kvarns fruktbröd (♥) är helt vanlig och traditionell, men den andra… Åh. Det är kanel&honungshummus. Tro mig, det är väldigt, väldigt [...]

7. Penny [or Prize] for Your Thoughts? | Nourishing Flourishing - August 27, 2011

[...] to see more of a particular kind of recipe, demand it! Or just tell me to make more doughball and dessert hummus and scone flavors, STAT. I am usually pretty good at obliging requests : ) And, just so you [...]